Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Driving isn't boring anymore
By ValiantSailor

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ever own a car so fun that you looked for excuses to go driving, or taking the long way home? That's the Miata, or MX-5 as it's now called. This car is so responsive it seems the driver can control it with thoughts alone. Light...predictable...responsive...FUN! All this and 30MPG, too!

The six-speed manual transmission is one of the smoothest I've ever encountered, with short throws that seem almost automatic. The air conditioner and heater are both excellent. I drive top down all winter long, because the heater works so well. Same with the a/c in the summer.

Stock suspension needs a bit of tightening. The optional Mazdaspeed springs improve the car's look and its handling.

New to Roadsters
By Ron & Beverly Nezat

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The fact that my wife and I have logged over two thousand miles of fun in this automobile are the best statement of our impression. I seleceted the MX-5 over The Mustang GT rag top. The Mustang will push you back into the upholstery as long as you go in a straight line. the MX-5 on the other hand is an absolute "Driving experience"! We recently spent a weekend in the mountains of Arkansas. I have never had so much fun. The Six speed manual in the MX-5 is perfectly matched to the engine's spunky performance. Climbing and descending in the hills and curves is this cars specialty. Never have driven a car that was so much pure driving fun.

Six Speed Manual is a large part of the enjoyment of this PURE sports car. Convertable top. is the essence of a sports car. It's like a motorcycle in its ability to connect you to your environment.

The cupholders in the center console are useless with the Manual shift. The cupholders in the doors are also useless unless you are drinking bottled water. Those will fit. Don't ever close the door with an open container in the cup holder. The contents continue to travel when the door stops.

The research was worth it
By rldpjd

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time reading about sports cars in this category. Virtually all of the magazine reviews put the Miata over the Solstice. I knew why as soon as I drove the GT model Miata. Since Pontiac apparently was timid about producing the Solstice, and since I refuse to stand in long lines just to pay sticker (or above) my decision to buy the Miata GT was even easier. OK, I'd really like a little more power...maybe a turbocharger? That's the only suggestion I'd make to Mazda.

Standard features like a/c, P/S, P/W and even ABS brakes that are OPTIONS on the Solstice.

Maybe a turbocharger, a V-6, or a 20- 25% power boost from more displacement?

First time Mazda driver.
By gonegolfin

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the MX-5 GT 6-speed at the end of March 2006. It is the True Red color and I have lost track of how many people have stopped me to ask questions about the car and in some cases asked if they could drive it. Obviously, my answer was no. The car has been exactly as described and lived up to all the pre-launch euphoria. It's impossible to overstate the "fun" factor of driving this car top-down. Outstanding!

The exterior lines are fantastic. The interior, a little snug, is beautiful to look at and functional as well. The performance is spunky and the shifting is perfect. It beats, hands down, the Solstice and I prefer the Mazda over the Z-3 and Z-4. The stereo performs well at all speeds.

The trunk space is limited. I can fit my golf clubs, which was a prerequisite, but I have to remove the driver and 3 wood from the bag to get it in. A little bigger trunk would be great. Also, lining the interior of the top and a "one-touch" up/down for both windows would be a nice touch.

ZOOM MX5 - 2006
By Ron Faulds

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Absolutely the most fun car that I have ever driven! Loaded with Bose sound system and Sirius satellite radio, really blasts out the tunes. Seems like every stop light I get praises about the car - Copper Red really flashes. Big guy - 6'1" and 240 but more than adequate room in the interior. Much easier entry/exit for my wife but I do not have any problems with the space. ZOOM, ZOOM - BTW, personal license now reads "Smilin"... and I am!

6 speed manual transmission is great! Don't skimp on your sound system, BOSE is in a class of it's own. With the Sirius radio, I only occasionally use the 6 CD changer. Roof - easy up / easy down... faster than most automatic roofs. Shopped for a Solstice and Sky, but I am delighted with the MX5!

Cup holder in the center panel by the shift knob is a joke. C'mon engineers!