Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

The research was worth it
By rldpjd

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time reading about sports cars in this category. Virtually all of the magazine reviews put the Miata over the Solstice. I knew why as soon as I drove the GT model Miata. Since Pontiac apparently was timid about producing the Solstice, and since I refuse to stand in long lines just to pay sticker (or above) my decision to buy the Miata GT was even easier. OK, I'd really like a little more power...maybe a turbocharger? That's the only suggestion I'd make to Mazda.

Standard features like a/c, P/S, P/W and even ABS brakes that are OPTIONS on the Solstice.

Maybe a turbocharger, a V-6, or a 20- 25% power boost from more displacement?

First time Mazda driver.
By gonegolfin

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the MX-5 GT 6-speed at the end of March 2006. It is the True Red color and I have lost track of how many people have stopped me to ask questions about the car and in some cases asked if they could drive it. Obviously, my answer was no. The car has been exactly as described and lived up to all the pre-launch euphoria. It's impossible to overstate the "fun" factor of driving this car top-down. Outstanding!

The exterior lines are fantastic. The interior, a little snug, is beautiful to look at and functional as well. The performance is spunky and the shifting is perfect. It beats, hands down, the Solstice and I prefer the Mazda over the Z-3 and Z-4. The stereo performs well at all speeds.

The trunk space is limited. I can fit my golf clubs, which was a prerequisite, but I have to remove the driver and 3 wood from the bag to get it in. A little bigger trunk would be great. Also, lining the interior of the top and a "one-touch" up/down for both windows would be a nice touch.

ZOOM MX5 - 2006
By Ron Faulds

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Absolutely the most fun car that I have ever driven! Loaded with Bose sound system and Sirius satellite radio, really blasts out the tunes. Seems like every stop light I get praises about the car - Copper Red really flashes. Big guy - 6'1" and 240 but more than adequate room in the interior. Much easier entry/exit for my wife but I do not have any problems with the space. ZOOM, ZOOM - BTW, personal license now reads "Smilin"... and I am!

6 speed manual transmission is great! Don't skimp on your sound system, BOSE is in a class of it's own. With the Sirius radio, I only occasionally use the 6 CD changer. Roof - easy up / easy down... faster than most automatic roofs. Shopped for a Solstice and Sky, but I am delighted with the MX5!

Cup holder in the center panel by the shift knob is a joke. C'mon engineers!

two for the road
By Bill West

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the 3rd Miata we've owned & the best. We've had all 3 body types from pop-up headlights to this current model. We traded a '03 Cobra in for this car and though I miss the full power of the Cobra, I really haven't looked back. A little bigger inside for the legs & plenty of extra storage.The interior is nicely laid out, easy to reach just about anything yet gives me room to myself. Plenty of get up and go. We opted for the automatic this time with paddle shifters, this is more fun than a just about anything you could drive. Zoom-Zoom.

The automatic with paddle shifters is amazing, power in the go factor in this vehicle is just awesome. The stereo sounds just like I had in bigger cars, plenty of space, truck handles all I need. MPG so far has always hit 24 miles per, & I drive fast and hard, it's go from the light at green.

Gee I just can't think of anything to change or add, it might lose something in the mix. Keep it this way.

A bargain
By Aelfric

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The best car I've ever owned, it has awesome handling, great acceleration and brakes, is super FUN to drive. I prefer the manual top - simpler, less expense, less to break, and actually very quick and easy to raise and lower. Beautiful all around. My only complaint is that it's a little too snug inside - I'm over 6' tall and I can't stretch out my legs. I have to move the seat slightly forward to recline the seatback at all. I have to force my butt all the way back to the seat back to avoid back pain. But unlike previous generations, I can now tilt adjust the steering wheel so my knees don't jam against it. Perfect for someone shorter who likes to drive. The best buy convertible by far.

6-speed tranny, falls perfectly to hand and is a joy to shift with just a flick of the wrist. Surprisingly quick - revs immediately as high as you want to go. The drop top, of course.

Stereo speakers behind or between the seats, or in windblocker? And a standard size stereo face so I could put in an aftermarket unit would be nice. Just a little more legroom, please. Perhaps raise the seat slightly? There's plenty of headroom even with top up. And put the name 'Miata' back on!