Used 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Miata Still Has It...
By vtmiller

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned for 2 years and besides my Nissan SE-R 1992 (before they changed body style), this is the most fun car I've owned and perhaps even ridden in. Even my buddy's Porsche 911 (although powerful) doesn't generate the same feel as the Miata roadster. The Shinsen edition color got great reactions (some even asked what kind of car it was - Jaguar?) and there are tons of modifications one can do (under the hood) and styling. I've kept mine pretty stock, but plan on adding turbo next year for some racing pep. Nothing is needed for daily driving, but if you want to zip through the city, park anywhere, and lose stress with windy road driving anytime -- this is the car for you! Love it.

The feel of the road. My sis' has a Mercedes roadster and even though it is more luxurious, I'd rather drive my Miata through the country roads. You truly won't appreciate this car until you drive it -- then you'll be hooked. Once you remove the visors, you'll love how easy (4 seconds) to take the top down.

Simple upgrade to H&M Air filter increases pep. Adding other after market items like silver roll bar enhance styling. Great buy new or used - will probably never sell car because it's a perfect daily driver and/or 2nd weekend car.

Ol Blue
By Michael Chapin

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is the most fun I have had behind the wheel in my life. Very responsive, fun to drive, economical also. I wish I would have bought one a long time ago instead of waiting till my 58 birthday.

The top comes down easily.

A little more power would be nice.

My Shinsen
By Denise

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The acceleration of this vehicle is really lacking. I really wish that it had tilt steering. Don't know if it is true but I was told that this particular year only came in manual and that an automatic transmission was not an option. I would have preferred an automatic. My Shinsen is a third vehicle and stays mostly protected in the garage. I would have to say that I am pretty satisfied to own such a one of a kind (once again was told by my dealership that only 1500 of them were made).

My favorite feature has to be the look itself. Although I have had more near misses from people on the road paying more attention to me just trying to figure out what type of car it is. You would be surprised how many people who approach me asking me what type of vehicle it is.

I think that the acceleration is probably my biggest complaint (extremely slow from a start).

Beyond My Expectations
By Joel L.

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A true sports car with great looks, remarkable agility, extraordinary overall performance, and plain good ol' fun is what I was looking for, and the MX5 provides these features in full measure, and at a price that couldn't be beat! I bought the car when I was 60, and feel as if I'm 18 every time I pull out of the garage. I've just looked at the 2006 models. The MX5 tradition lives on in this "upgunned" model. You can bet another new MX5 is out there in the future. Well done, Mazda!

Can cruise at 70 without a hiccup. Hugs the road as tight as Velcro. Its good looks turns heads and earns appreciative smiles. Bose sound system. It sounds like an MG of old, just as planned.

The only thing wrong with this well-engineered automobile is ... nothing!

Built for the Sierras
By QwikLee

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My wife and I live about an hour from
the Sierra Nevada mountains on the
California side. Whenever we want to
take a Sunday drive, we hop in the
Miata and spend a wonderful day winding
through the foothills and mountains
with the top down. What a way to enjoy
the outdoors!

Looks and handling.

A bit more trunk space (but not at the expense of the car's basic design).