Used 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

My Hobby
By RLM

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a suspension and handling addict and this car answers the call and more. I have the six speed with Bilstein shocks and limited slip differential in triple black. For me the car has just the right horse power as I enjoy using the six speed to make the car go rather than just hitting the gas. I enjoy the interaction with the car and the road especially with the top down.

I really like the black leather with the black exterior and the sports supsension adds to the fun. It feels like the harder you take a turn the more traction and stick you have. Do not need traction control-keep experience pure. ABS is one saftey exception for me

I do not like the cumbersome installing of the cover. Plus a more effective wind screen behind driver and passenger along with auto sound adjustment with six disc cd in dash would be great. Also I would prefer a maximum performance summer tire as an option with sports suspension.

Great little Roadster in Austin
By Mike Brewer

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Wanted a great 2 seater roadster and got one. I really like the styling and handling. I like almost everything about the car. Only mods so far are oil pressure sending unit change and added front grille. Lots of fun to drive and great gas mileage.

Styling and handling. Ease of raising/lowering convertible top.

Nothing really comes to mind

Saved my life... best little car
By Sherylm

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this sweet little car for the last few summers, and enjoyed every minute. Today, I got t-boned on the driver's side by someone running a stop sign, and I'm alive. Really sore, but alive. The outside of the car was really damaged, but the frame protected me well enough, that I can write this review. Not only was she beautiful and fun, but she turned out to be the best car in the most important sense. Thank you.

The tight turns, and the look of it.

Tilt steering so my husband can drive it.

Zoom Zoom
By celica_122

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Cup holders are a hassle. Small interior. But I wanted a roadster and got one. The most fun to drive of any car I have driven. Someone traded a BMW Z3 for a Miata the day I was at the dealership, so what does that tell you? This is (in my opinion) the best roadster you can buy. If I get depressed I just go for a ride in my Shinsen!

Fun to drive. And that's what a car is supposed to be.

Maybe a bigger trunk? But if you want cargo room or luxury, buy a luxury car.

A joy to drive, but hurts my back
By SRS

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets appreciative looks. More elegant and cheerful than recent redesign. Never enjoyed driving more, but chronic back injury (herniated disc) with tiny interior: makes me wonder if I will have to sell. I'm 6'2". Seats are like 90 degrees; no lumbar support. Road can be harsh - avoid potholes, speed bumps. Pebbles make lots of noise. Sound system with road noise -- tinnitus. Right elbow opens cup holder, right knee can't straighten. Fixed wheel position. Visibility only fair with top. Automatic shifter very stiff after starting. Heater, AC, wipers good. Cornering easy, fun. Accelerates well. Top easy to operate. Sound system is good; allows adjustment of midrange. Top latch replaced.

Gorgeous color (teal mica). Gorgeous exterior design. Cornering/turning circle. Fun! Top is easy to operate. This car makes me smile. Automatic transmission (less hassle than manual). Responsiveness.

Better seat angle for tall drivers. Lumbar support. Adjustable steering wheel. Quieter interior with top down. Feedback for gas cap release. Better fuel economy. Blue gauge color, not red. Less plastic in interior. A way to deal with noise from little stones?