Used 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

10th anniv. worth the extra $
By Oakley1337

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

Last year I bought the 1999 mx5 10th ann. The car had 68k and was in excellent cond. I drive the car quite hard and find the power band somewhat disappointing, however I do admit red-line shifts are very satisfying, at around 7k rpms,(typical for many import sports cars). Little acceleration in 6th, toping out somewhere around 125mph. Shifting quickly into 6th can be sketchy, since reverse is just a click away. Car has an awesome feel and ride... very stiff and sporty. Sound from stock exhaust is respectable. Seats are leather with blue suede inserts that are difficult to maintain, but look very cool. Winter driving is a death wish, however the hard top keeps you warm and looks amazing.

Exterior look is superior to many other vehicles and demands attention. Very short stick makes shifting very quick and precise. Car corners like a champ, in part thanks to stock sports suspension, which is lower and firmer than the regular mx5. Love all the special edition extras!

The ONLY cup holders are in the center glove box right behind the stick, making shifting annoying. Steering column is not adjustable. Carbon fiber trim is imitation. Although gearbox has 6 speeds, car whines at freeway speeds; 3500+rpm at 65mph. The 6th gear really does nothing for performance.

I Miss My Miata
By Jordan

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought my '99 Miata in 2006 with 50,000 miles. It ran like a top and I had no major problems in the two years I owned it. The steering in these cars is phenomenal. You point the wheel where you want the car to go and it goes. Pedal placement is perfect and makes heel-toes extremely simple. Transmission is a little crunchy at higher revs, but the actual shifter feels very nice. Every gear seems to click into place. Gas mileage is decent and if I concentrated on it I could consistently get over 30 mpg. However, this car is so fun to drive it's really hard to keep the revs low and gas mileage high. I'd say my average was 25mpg. Overall it's a great car and I regret selling mine every day.

Steering. Suspension. Looks. Transmission. Convertible top is very easy to put up and down. Decent gas mileage. Pedal placement.

Although roadsters like the Miata aren't made for drag racing and it will blow the doors off pretty much any car in a slalom, it could use some more power. Cheap interior. No cup holders. Cloth seats are uncomfortable and don't grip your body during cornering. Stock paint fades and chips easily.

Be careful of the one that you buy
By Cute Car

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I had a 99 Miata. The car was beautiful!! I thought I could tell from the details that the car was taken care of, no scratches, no dent, seats good condition, and ran well - I was wrong!! This car within 3 months of ownership I had a lot of problems. I know that there are bad vehicles in every making, I think that I got one of them. For those willing to try this car it will be fun to drive. I do suggest the manual tranmission it just makes it even more fun to drive. Mixed feeling on this ride. I will never purchase another though.

6 spd manual transmission, bose system, and interior features beautiful.

Make the coil pack and the convertible top better. Very expensive to replace coil packs (250 ea.). Dealerships cannot tell you which one is going bad and top 1200 to replace by professional.

I just love this thing
By Fred

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought this used car with 55k miles for the fun, and it has delivered in spades. It's also surprisingly practical. Decent mileage (27 MPG in normal driving and 30 MPG hwy at 70 MPH), absolutely reliable, comfortable for this 5'11" 62 year-old. I find that I can transport most anything I want to with a little imagination. I've added a roll bar and so can even carry lumber in good weather. Overall, it's the easiest automotive smile I've encountered, is relatively inexpensive to purchase and earns its keep as well.

The handling, hands down. Comfort is surprisingly good for me. The convertible top. Economy of operation and ease of maintenance. Did I mention handling?

The roll bar has added stiffness and, one hopes, safety - I'd add one to the option list. Otherwise, I'm happy.

Simply Amazing!
By Antonio Banderas

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Wow! What am amazing car! Amazing performance for a 4-cylinder, and surprisingly roomy on the inside. Bose audio is great, and the hardtop was included as well. Plenty of style, plenty of fun, and plenty of saved gas money in your wallet. A great choice if you are in dire need for some serious fun, but can't spring for that $50,000 convertible.

Bose audio, slick shifter, ridiculously easy soft-top operation, great body styling, good quality materials, fuel economy, amazing 4 cylinder performance, true "roadster style and presence."

Maybe a 6th gear just to see how fast it can really go.