Used 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Base 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (64 reviews )

No. 4 - 9 years away from Collector status
By C2100

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is my 3rd, a classic red 01 1990. My first was identical right down to the month but had no power steering or mags. Did have the hardtop however. Purchased it for $10,500 in 96 and sold it for $10250 in 2001! A hip replacement forced me into a more comfortable car. Imported a fully loaded 97 but sold it soon after. My partner purchased a 2001 a month ago and after a 3000 km trip with the top down through our Coastal and Rocky Mts returned and tracked down a project car. Needs a new front seal and a paint job. Returned to the original edition because of price and cabin room. Loving it and will improve its appearance as time and money permits. Great to be driving a future classic.

Handling, colour and appearance. Cabin room, no electric mirrors, antenna or windows. Economy and performance and ease of driving. A classic that will become a collectors item. Great support from enthusiasts.

Ride comfort and safety features have been added over the years and one can buy into them as needed for a very reasonable cost.

Best Little Roadster Around!
By SandyMac

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I've had 3 Miatas in my lifetime. Little Red, my current Miata has been lots of fun and reliable. It's time I get a little more practical plus I don't have a garage for her anymore. It's breaking my heart but I'm putting her up for sale.

She corners like she has glue on her feet.

NONE!

Lovin it
By miata mamma!

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Wanted a Miata since i first noticed it but not practical with 3 small kids - so when the youngest went to college momma got a new baby and we love her! She had 51,000 miles on her 2 years ago and we've added another 15,000. She is sweet! Handles great-love to take her on curvy country roads. I am horrible at a stick shifts but she tolerates me very well. On vacations she'll get 40 miles to the gallon. We have not done anything to her mechanically. People sometimes think we have an expensive sports car because they are fairly rare in our neck of the woods - paid $3k for her and wouldn't take 3 times that for her. Husband thought it was a girls car but takes her out as much as I do. A total joy to drive.

lLove the way she handles and is so maintenance free.

Make sure you get the hardtop with her - that way you can enjoy her nearly year round!

Great car
By Dan

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is my 3rd Miata. I always wanted to own an original, and have not been let down. I drive about 180 miles a day, and even being 16 years old, the car still gets about 26mpg.

The short shift on the car is awesome.

15 years and still going
By Mike

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This morning my miata turned 147,000 miles while making a mental note that it is it 's birthday this week. It's been a great ride and it's been well taken care of. The few repairs needed include rt door window motor, rt. rear brake caliper and timing belt @ 98k, clutch plate @ 110K and an engine pulley/gear wheel 133k. Original equipment that is still in place includes all lighting, brake system, engine (no cam prob yet), exhaust system ( just started with a sound near the manifold last week) and the soft-top including zipper still work well. It continues to be a great little car. Now I need to consider the exhaust replacement, original Mazda or after market, any thoughts?

Hardtop in the winter and over all reliability, great handling on back country roads in the mountains and on the coast when you have the road to yourself.

None really other than it will be interesting to see 10 yrs from now if Mazda decided to re-intro reliability with gen 3.