Used 2005 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

The Best
By Wally Greer

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tried to buy an '07 but found out Mazda quit importing these to the US. Bad mistake but my new '05 will do me fine. Mine was a dealer loaner and was like new. I put 250000 miles on my '94 MPV so I expect this one to do the same. This vehicle has everything in the same spot so there was no learning curve. Pulling a trailer is no problem. I use this for camping and everyday use, at 6'2" I find it roomy and very comfortable on long trips. The sticker said 25 mpg and I find this to be true even pulling a trailer. I get the same mileage in the city too. The middle seats are a snap to get out.

Double sliding doors with rolldown windows and 2 rear vent windows best changes made.Body more streamlined and looks sexy in jet black with gray interior.

Mazda USA should rethink their decision to stop importing the MPV. I would buy an '07 in a heartbeat.

fun van, right size for city
By dude

2005 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought an 05 demo with 5k miles. Really like this van. Maybe it's just that it was a full option demo, but I find it preferable to all but the new Honda. But paid $15k less than equally optioned Honda would have cost.

Sunroof, leather, very quick at passing.

I still sense a "turbo lag" feeling from the transmission driving around town (it is not a turbo). Too bad Mazda did not bring their new MPV to the US, I would have bought it.

Average car for below average cost
By leprofd

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

You get what you pay for. The ride is harsh and the space limited for a minivan but if you compare with small to mid size wagon and have only one or two children to transport, then it's an OK vehicle with a few extras for a limited budget. The model is discontinued and for good reasons. If you can live with the limitations you should get great deals from eager dealers. Just do not expect a Sienna or an Odyssey.

The sliding seat in the back and the folding third row (common now to all minivans).

Space is limited in second row. The suspension is rough and the comfort is minimum. A new model will come perhaps in 2008.

Great Buy
By Way to go Mazda

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Mazda MPV is an excellent value. All the latest features like power doors, dvd player, power sunroof and seats are all optional but the LX with the sports package is loaded! Great features such as fold away third row seat, captains chairs, rear air and heat, tinted windows, roof rack and a wonderful stereo system.

Radio controls on steering wheel. Captains chairs. Fold away third row seat. Gas mileage.

This is a wonderful vehicle and a great vehicle except the 3.0 v6 can barely drag it around. Come on Mazda give the MPV some Zoom Zoom!

The Perfect GUV (golf utility vehicle)
By retiredgolfer

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm retired and the primary use for my vehicle is to take me and my buddies to and from golf. I've had a pickup for years, but decided I wanted something that would keep the clubs/carts inside and have the capability to carry more than 2 golfers in comfort. Tried several different SUV's and smaller station wagons but none had adequate cargo capacity for my needs. Tried some other minivans but they seemed too big or too pricey. Stumbled on the MPV and found it perfect at the right price!

Flexibility to go from cargo to passenger carrying configuration. Fold down 3rd row seat. Sliding 2nd row bucket seats. Power windows in sliding doors. Decent MPG. Drives like a car, very quiet and smooth.

I guess just the location of the shift lever could be moved. Any other improvements would probably add to cost of vehicle and I love the price!