Used 2004 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Bought new in 2004, now has 215,000 miles
By kaiserdr

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I rarely give anything five stars but the service I have had on this vehicle deserves it. I bought my MPV brand new from the dealer and only had routine problems. My vehicle is approaching 170,000 miles and runs perfectly. We have maintained the exterior and interior of this vehicle. If the engine fails, I will buy a rebuilt engine, install it, and hope it lasts as long as the one now. I was recently at the dealer to have the air-bag replaced and a mechanic there said several owners bring their MPVs in for maintenance and have more than 250,000 miles on them. The only unexpected failure I had on this vehicle was 2016 when the sunroof leaked ($100 repair) and the power driver's seat failed.
2018 Update: This vehicle now has 215,000 miles. The vehicle overheated in 2017 due to a radiator failure. Note, a local mechanic tried to rip-me-off, wanted $1,200 for a radiator from Mazda and suggested it might need other parts and a head gasket. I replaced the entire cooling system with re-manufactured parts from JC Whitney for $200 and a local mechanic installed them for $200--it has now run another 30,000 miles with no problem.

Stay away from the 2004 Mazda MPV
By rvgray13

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van used from a dealer. It didn't have a lot of miles on it (less than 50K, I think). It has been nothing but problems, coil packs go out regularly (I've replaced at least 6 times), shift shock, front end control arms, hub bearings, tie rods. Terrible gas mileage. I have contacted Mazda corporate several times and they pretend they haven't heard of the issues. Funny how the complaints are all over the web. I think the transmission just went out and I am leaning towards junking it and getting else.

It looks pretty sporty for a minivan. When it was running good (which wasn't often) it is pretty fun to drive.

Design flaw with the coil packs and transmission.

Loved this Van
By rose74

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I never had much wrong with my mazda mpv. I drove it for almost 8 yrs. It only had alittle over 100,000 miles on it. I replaced all my coil packs, vacum hose, and brakes. it ran as smoothe as it did the day I bought it. I was in an accident and they totaled it. I looked for another one but none close to me. I like my other van now but miss my Mazda Alot.

Best mini van I ever owened!
By emsoccermom

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this all most new it had 6000 miles on it. I have 230,000 miles on it. The miles were split between stop and go and highway miles. I have only had minor things brake like the drivers side window motor. I have had nothing mojor, knock on wood.

3rd row seating, fold in floor/ tailgate. radio tuning in steering wheel.

better radio vlume control for rear and front of car.

Multiple problems with coils in engine
By Lorf

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle used in 2008 with about 40,000 miles. Loved it at first, rode smoothly, feels like a car, looks great for a minivan and love that the sliding door windows roll down. Fast forward to about 75,000 miles. The first engine coil goes. 90,000 two more blow. Now at 101,000 miles, the 4th coil is being replaced tomorrow. There is a design defect in the coil placement in this MPV that allows water to enter the coils, and shorten the live considerably. Some other little things here and there, but the engine is the big issue. Trading it in for a more reliable vehicle right after the repair is done.

Factory recall for defective design of engine coils. This should not be an expense owners should bear.