Used 2003 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Excellent Choice for Family
By tw

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV LX brand new in late 2002. 3 1/2 years and 80,000 miles later, we are still very happy with the van. It is smaller than Honda and Toyota minivans, and is just the perfect size for a family of 4. Originally my wife insisted on buying a minivan after our first child was born. I hesitated to be seen in a minivan. But we rented an MPV during a vacation and felt in love with the size and handling. We have only had one mechanical problem with a radiator hose during the 80,000 miles we've had the van. The problem occurred around 30,000 miles, and was fixed by the dealer (there was a bulletin on the issue). Other than that, it has been very reliable.

Perfect size. Great handling (for a minivan). Versatile seating arrangements (handy if you want to carry lots of stuff or haul up to 7 people). Great performance (for minivan) and reliability. Love the power sliding doors.

3rd row headrests that must be manually removed when seat is folded into the floor. No split folding 3rd row seat.

I love it
By gailnicko

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

i really enjoy driving the car, the seats are very comfortable. I dislike the headrests, which cannot be utilized while on trips (they need to be extended forward). Service visits have been the minimum for almost 2 years that I have owned it.

I love the electronic/sliding rear doors.

Why not electronic back door, too. Why are there 2 levers nears the driver - one is for wipers, one for gear, but it's one too many. Need head rests that work on long drives - these are impossible, and need to be extended several inches forward to be comfortable!

Fix the Transmission
By Joe

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Watch the transmission. Very annoying clunks, which make me worry it will fail in later years. Very cool looking. Small, but if that's what you want you won't be disappointed. I bought mine new and overall is a good value.

Exterior style.

Fix the stinking transmission Mazda! You know there is a problem and you keep making them.

Happy After 3 years, 33K Miles
By Lynda Marie

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy w/ van. Not a single mechanical issue. I don't find the tranny shifter an issue, I use it as a guide for the radio (over) and the a/c (under). Plenty of power in CO mountains, yet decent mileage. Excellent (!) on snow & ice w/ new tires (who needs 4WD unless you need clearance?). Good on long trips. Size is big enough for lots of kids and stuff, but small enough to park almost anywhere. Handling better than expected from a minivan. Leather seating is easy to clean. Kids like their own heating/ac controls. Would buy another one if I "crunched" this one.

Small package that can haul a lot of kids/things. Good handling, ease of parking in town. Decent gas mileage. Cheap acquisition, operation, insurance costs. GFX package makes it looks a little bit sporty (ok, it's not a sports car, but let us dream a little, ok?).

Put better tires on as original equip! Better gas mileage. My other (better?) half says the seats could be a bit wider for men w/ wide shoulders; he would also like a slightly bigger V-6 engine. (He's used to 300HP, I have no such complaints, it goes JUST FINE!).

Soccer mom has got some go!
By kirk

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm 12 so I thought I'd give my Idea of this van. My mom found a brand new MPV; it was a 2003. So far we have found some cons on this. One positive is it has the power to pass a Ford Expedition or a Chevy Suburban and my dad's Mercedes Benz for that matter. Some problems are that for what ever reason it sucks gas! The dealer can't seem to describe what the van does but it does this thing were when you put it in gear the tranny clunks, shaking the van. It doesn't really do that though, only when its hot.

Power doors, carbon fiber trim, rear sliding windows roll down.

One touch moon roof! Fix the transmission problem.