Used 2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed 3 model:

Pocket rocket/family car
By leehudson

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 12/07 (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the most fun I've ever had in a car with my clothes on. This car can be Jeckle or Hyde, your choice. Family car or pocket rocket. Zero to 60 in < 6 sec and 26+ mpg. I've had 43 cars, so far,
in my life and all things considered, the MS3 has been my favorite. Use your head to keep understeer at bay and you will anticipate each driving opportunity with relish. Only car that might replace it would be the next-Gen
MS3 with 2.5 turbo, 300 hp and 4 wheel drive. How could that not sell!!!
The next generation didn't happen!
Wish it had! Still like my pocket-rocket!

Beware of curves
By Jabba deez

I love my speed3 ,but warped the rotors having too much fun shortly after buying it. They should have come slotted to begin with. The Bose system sucks and i now have 6 cd's stuck in the cd player, plus 1 blown out front speaker. Everything else is great. Plenty of hall ass and go. There's room for outings with friends, and can fit my bass gear for practice and small shows. The seats are comfortable for me and any friends under 6'2. Remember it's a little sports car. Don't expect luxury. It was definitely worth the purchase at 3g under blue book.

All you need in a performance inspired car, and more
By boostaholic1

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 12/07 (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is exactly what I was looking for when I was shopping for a new one back in 2008. I've had it now for 5 years and not a single problem. Very fun and exciting to drive. More than enough power for a 2.3L 4 cyl, and plenty of space inside as well for passengers and cargo. I get compliments everywhere I go from friends to strangers, men and women.

Turbo!! 263hp!! The way it sounds, even with stock exhaust!!

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Japanese Quality that's precision-engineered to implode at 36,000 miles
By mollari_2261

Never abused, raced, modified, or wrecked, and serviced only my Mazda dealerships, yet it still began self-destructing within 100 miles of the end of the warranty. From 36K to 55K:

· silly-putty factory rear motor mount began eating itself
· steering began clicking and popping, dealer could not diagnose
· pot-metal shift knob attachment rod sheared off while driving
· toy-car-plastic shift cable end broke off of gear knob
· BlOSE radio died
· engine developed incurable throttle lag
· 2nd gear (and no other) would either (a) engage smoothly (b) engage with notchiness (c) grind (d) not engage at all; dealer could not diagnose
· 1 passenger window failed
· power lock in driver's door failed

It seemed like an amazing value at the time I bought it (new), however a lower price in this case just means a more cheaply made car. Also, it was good fun to drive - when it ran.

To customers: Get a VW instead. Or even a Yugo. If you already bought a new Mazda, start saving up for a new car, you'll need one in about 3 years. To Mazda: 1) Find out if the Japanese language has words for "refinement," "durability," and "reliablity." Learn them. 2) Spend an extra $0.05 on paint and glass that don't chip in so much as a stiff breeze. 3) Nobody blessed with the gift of good hearing likes BlOSE. You shouldn't, either. 4) Fire the special-ed employee that designs your iPod interfaces and "automatic" (sic) headlights. 5) It isn't a "powertrain" warranty if it excludes most of the actual powertrain.

Love it! But it's rough.
By aam07

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a love hate relationship with my 08 Mazdaspeed3.
I love how fast it is, but I hate how rough and loud it can be.

The suspension on it has been crap since I bought it new.
The valving/dampening is wrong on it.
It gets easily unsettled over speed pumps and rough roads.

Gas milage has been good over all considering how much power it has.
It does however require premium fuel.

Power!!

More sounds suppression. Better suspension setup. Overall the model needs to be refined.