Used 2009 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 194 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Mazda6 V6
By Tostitos

2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We originally dismissed this car because of its perceived weak gas mileage against its key competitors. We test drove them all and looked for several months at options. However, after test driving a Ford Fusion that had pieces falling off during the test drives, and a Malibu which was just too small with its lack of shoulder and width room....we came back to the Mazda. The V6 engine is fantastic. Smooth as silk. And doesn't have the annoying cylinder shut down like the Accord V6. Build quality is very solid and the ride feels great. Handles better than the Camry. The bonus has been the mileage. Thus far we have been getting 22 combined with at least 75% city driving.

Blind Spot Monitoring is great. NAV and touch screen audio controls are very cool and easy to operate. Aero Dynamics on Moon Roof are solid. Hardly any wind noise when its opened. The combination of Trunk Space and Leg Room (we are a tall family of four) cannot be beat in this class.

Rearview mirror seems imposing. Feels like it is too close to your face and impedes vision out the right half of the windshield. However, I am 6'4", so shorter drivers may not have this issue. Other thing I notice is that the steering wheel partially blocks the view of the speedometer.

2009 Mazda 6 S Touring V6
By MK51

2009 Mazda 6 s Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Replaced a 2005 Taurus, looking for a car with updated design, performance, and technology. Definitely found the great design, performance and nice bells and whistles. Respectable gas mileage, 22 city, 27 highway. Somewhat disappointed in overall comfort and noise issues. High level of road noise from 18" tires, very sensitive steering, stiff ride, and noisy engine and compressor/fans (very annoying). Unfavorable reflection of top of dash in front window. Engine/fan noise addressed once, but not convinced it is entirely corrected. Will pursue with dealership and will get used to the other minor discomforts.

Exterior design, smooth transmission, V6 performance, bluetooth, BSM, interior space, dual exhausts. Black exterior with cream interior, very sharp. Combination leather/cloth seats.

Road noise/softer ride (maybe different tires), less sensitive steering (steering wheel pulls terribly on uneven surfaces),engine noise.

Camry Killer?
By 230SL

2009 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We were on our way to test drive a new Camry. Took a swing into the Mazda dealer because I knew the design had changed and wanted to check it out. After a test drive we kept our appointment w/ the Toyota dealer. This Mazda has it all over the Camry, I couldn't even get alloy wheels on the LE model (which really pi**ed me off). Short story, we went back to Mazda and got a good deal on a car (so far, 2 mos) that I think is nicer than the Camry (which is a very nice car).

The Convenience package is one good deal for the money. My wife loves the Blind Spot and Bluetoooth features.

Wheel protectors should be standard (used to be called mud flaps) and you shouldn't have to buy a very expensive rear view mirror in order to get a garage door opener.

Faux marble interior is weak...
By Mike

2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Let me start by saying that in general I love this car. The instrumentation is very intuitive and I find the exterior to be very sleek and it doesn't scream "I've got car seats inside" like some other family targeted vehicles. I love the bigger V6 and the room trunk and cabin. My only complaint is on the Grand Touring model I have is it has the cheesiest faux marble plastic trim along the dash and the cupholder. A few editor reviews mention this but I haven't seen it much on readers comments so perhaps it just me. Waiting for an aftermarket solution but for me a flat black or polished aluminum trim would have made the car almost perfect.

Large trunk, comfortable seating, sleek exterior

Get rid of cheesy faux marble trim on Touring or Grand Touring model. Or at least give owner another option.

Better than Accord, maybe even Acura
By JMike

2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Have now owned the 6 for 3 months and like it more every day. Have had several sports cars (S-2000, 350Z)and had to go with a more sensible car this time. No withdrawal symptoms, the 6 is possibly taking Nissan's title of 4 dr Sports Car. Also looked at the new Accord; have owned Hondas and Nissans in the past, and know both to be excellent cars and great values. I could not get past the ugliness of the new Accord or the price tag for the new Maxima. Getting 20mpg avg, think the 6 is comparable to Lexus and Acura

Styling, Sportiness, Bose Sound