Used 2006 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

A Great Sedan That You Should Consider
By DVX135

2006 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a car that is fun to drive, comfortable, sporty and utilitarian all in one, get a Mazda 6 5-door. The back seat folds completely flat, so I can haul bikes, guitar/amp, home improvement supplies, and 5 4-5 people comfortably. I have the 2.3l 4cyl engine with the 5 speed manual trans, and I don't know why anyone would want/need the V6. This car can move and has been a pleasure to own. The bottom line is that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Do yourself a favor, and at least test drive one.

Snappy handling, great "feel" of shift and steering, the Bose premium sound system, interior quality, 5-door design for making it a multi-purpose vehicle.

The drivetrain could be a bit quieter, although you won't notice with the stereo on. Better ventilation: the air coming through the vents is warmer than the outside air. Offer sport suspension w/o having to get the MazdaSpeed version.

Best Commuter Car I've Ever Owned
By avelectro

2006 Mazda 6 s Grand Sport 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My previous car, a Mercedes C220 purchased new in 1996, was a great car but this 6s Grand Sport is way better for around town commuting. The climate controls are very easy to use, HID headlights are a big plus, and the V6 is so smooth I have found myself driving in manual mode wondering which nearby car is making the high-rpm noise. It really is that smooth. My daily commute burns fuel at a 28 to 30 mpg rate, depending on the weather (A/C on or sunroof open). I drive conservatively, keep the tires at 40 psi and the six-speed automatic shifts into high gear at 42 mph, all of which gives much better mpg than I expected. Highway mileage is unknown - I've only driven it in metro Phoenix.

Instrument's red lighting, outstanding fuel efficiency, sharp handling, good power, solid body feel.

Side-mounted turn signals (like the MazdaSpeed 6), one-touch sunroof, extendable visors to cover side glass better.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By skull_crossbones

2006 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

12 visits to the shop in 16 months. What more can I say. Basically it has been in for warranty work about every 5 weeks. I contacted Mazda's customer service and 5 weeks later I get a call telling me that they are sorry about all the problems with the car. So, now I am stuck with a totally unreliable car that is horribly upside down because the resale on the cars is awful. Now this is all to a customer who has purchased 4 new Mazdas in the past 6 years. I just wonder how they treat someone that wasn't that good of a customer. My message to MAZDA, "I am done with you and will never grace your doors again". Thank you for showing me such loyalty. Mine was proven but now gone!

Interior and exterior styling.

Quality, fuel economy, and power.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By xlr824

2006 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Let's start with the good parts. The car handles great and looks great. It is very comfortable. Now the bad. The car has been in the shop 12 times in 14 months. Everything from lumbar supports breaking (twice) to a fuel pump failure and several things in between. This is the 4th new Mazda I have owned in the past 6 years. I have been waiting a month for Mazda to make any decision on what they are going to do to satisfy their "good" customer on a car that has been a true "piece". The true quality of a company is shown not when everything is well but how they handle it when it is not well.

Style and comfort.

More power and better fuel economy.

Best car I have owned
By Mr. S

2006 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have looked at these cars since 2003 when the new model line came out. I am glad I waited this 2006 model is great. Plenty of power for what I need. Plenty of room and what can I say about the looks - wow! I got about everything that can come with it, except leather. Also it has a very comfortable ride for a car of its size.

Seats, manual transmission, Bose stereo, sun roof, spoiler, color (dark red), deep tone exhaust for a 4 cyl.

This is very petty, but individual coin holders would be nice.