Used 2006 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Think I Bought a Lemon!
By pstiles1

2006 Mazda 6 s Grand Sport 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Mazda 6 new.
I am sad to say, I think that I bought an albatross.
It has become a money pit.
I have put 3 sets of tires at around $1000.00 per set.
The air conditioner had to be replaced.
The drive chain broke & had to be replaced, thank God it was under warranty! I have had to replace the clutch.
The dashboard compartment broke and now my head liner is falling down near the rear window.
I also have a very audible "squeaking noise" as the car changes speed which the dealer (whom I will never work with again) says is the ac's clutch since my car is "old."
I had an RX7 which I loved.
This car is a big disappointment!

5 years in and very happy
By faztang1

2006 Mazda 6 s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm winding down my life with my Mazda6 and must say overall it was a good 5 years. The car is 10 times better looking than a vanilla Camry or Accord.
The subtle hatchback look is very sporty and the trunk is huge! Great looking car. Performance wise, the 215hp V-6 is not the strongest in class, but gets the job done.
However I was not impressed with the fuel economy.
Most small to mid sized current cross overs get better mileage.
Handling is good but the 18 inch tires really bang around on bumpy rounds.
I bent all 4 rims and went down to 17's. Reliability has been great, only some small plastic pieces are starting to get loose. Interior is decent, but rear seats are a little tight.

Best feature is the utility of the hatchback with the look of a sports sedan. They should of kept this design around and added 4wd, that would have been a great combo.

more power, better gas mileage, more room for back seats.

Bad Transmission
By saltguy

2006 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought this car almost four years and 54,000 miles ago. Just went out of warranty (50,000) and needs a new transmission. We took the car in a year ago, under warranty, and the mechanics couldn't find the problem we were having with the car slipping out of gear while accelerating. It started to get worse right after we went over 50,000 miles, so we took it back in. They isolated the issue, but said it wasn't covered by warranty anymore. No way a car with 54,000 highway miles should need a new transmission. And the fact that Mazda wouldn't stand behind the car tells me a lot about their confidence in their product. This was our first and last Mazda. Done!

Heated seats and overall looks are good.

transmission! Also, the defroster doesn't work very well. Hard to keep windows clear on rainy days.

Permanent Fan
By neamazdalover

2006 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE this car. 6iSport with 5-speed manual. Cloth seats, sunroof, spoiler, 6 disc CD, power windows and seats, airbags all around, and all for $20,000 brand new. This thing eats up the road like nothing I've ever driven before. I drive about 200 miles of rural, s-curves everyday and love every minute of it. Zoom, zoom is right on, but watch tire choices when you have to buy new. Suspension is so tight, tires sometimes can't keep up. Value X 10 for the cost. Stops on a dime! Half the price (and great financing options) of a BMW 3 series, but not nearly half the experience. This from someone who was driving a different car every two years, but I think I've found THE ONE!

Suspension/tracking/grip. It is the closest legal thing to driving a race car that I have found outside of a BMW (which I can't afford). Still very sporty looking even at 5 years old. My boss drives an Acura and he saw my Mazda and said, "Wow! A 5-speed!" Jealous much? LOL!

Lumbar support on front driver seat gone at 15,000 miles. Battery died earlier than I expected. Wished the factory tires would have lasted a little longer. Can't think of a single other thing.

Best Kept Secret Out There
By yamura

2006 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '06 6s in early '07. Probably sat on the dealer's lot a long time because of the manual trans. However, maybe because of that I got a very good deal, too. Aside from a headliner that pulled away from the rear window and breakage of the lumbar support about 400 miles prior to expiration of the warranty, and somewhat early replacement of the battery, the car has been trouble free. It is a hoot to drive, strong runner with a good mid-range, and surprisingly good gas mileage avg about 22 in town and 27 on hwy.

Fun to drive, surprisingly good on gas, reliable. Still on the original tires & brakes @ 52K mi.

(1) The headlight pattern using OEM bulbs no better than Average. (2) 5th gear could use longer legs for more relaxed cruising (3) Turning circle is slightly worse than that of the Queen Mary. (4) The whale-tail spoiler is a little too boy racer-poseurish for my taste.