Used 2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 210 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Fun to drive sports sedan
By miltownguy

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Solid car that is fun to drive, decent V6 overall although its just the duratec V6 from Ford, has great power from 3k and above but definitely needs more low end torque below 3k..gas mileage is subpar, when im driving it nice i can get up to 27mpg, but 24-25 is more common..awesome to drive on curvy roads, the stiff frame enables you to hug the road and you can fly through corners..5 speed is also very slick and a lot of fun to drive..bought this car w/ 18k and haven't had to replace anything yet through 67k besides regular maintenance (F & R pads once, F & R rotors resurfaced once & then replaced, tires once)..heated seats and leather are also nice

heated leather seats, accelerating above 3k, manual transmission, ability to hug the road through curves, exterior styling, its always fun to look at it

low end torque & gas mileage need to be improved (or at least 1 or the other), brakes tend to be noisy for a few minutes after first driving but then goes away

Good car for the money
By ddcast1

2005 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for work. I drive a lot and needed something good on gas and not to expensive. So far I am happy with it. I have put 10000 miles on it and only have one complaint. The transmission doesn't shift properly all the time. Doesn't happen enough for concern and the dealer said they couldn't find a problem. The ride is nice and it looks great.

MPG, styling, controls on the steering wheel, and driver comfort.

Transmission isn't the best, a bit more power even for a 4 cylinder.

*Please Read*
By Rman

2005 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car a little over 5 months ago. Within the 5 months, 3 headlight bulbs burnt out, license plate light burnt out, needed to do tcm and pcm reprogram, replaced both front brake lines, replaced both front axle boots and cv joints, cigarette lighter blows every fuse you put in, both front and back brake pads were replaced, display clock flickers. I am being a truthful person here. Do not always rely on reviews. This one is getting sold or traded in.

The look.

More power for the 4cyl. Little better quality interior fabric. Overall build quality.

I think I got a lemon?
By harleyhoney

2005 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 6 brand new, I thought it looked really cool, I owned it til 6/2008, I only had about 25K on it... things were always wrong with it, first thing my headlights kept burning out I went thru 4 sets of bulbs over a 1 yr time frame next the transmission would shift randomly, and clunk all the time, dealership said nothing was wrong with it. Blew out vacuum hoses, brakes went out, battery was shot after 1 yr, there were many other things. The seats were hard as a rock, it was not safe on ice, handled very badly always got stuck in the snow, traction control (what a joke) the dash scratched so easily. I was not very happy with this car, I was so happy to trade it in.

Very sporty looking, decent stereo (yet I replaced with aftermarket), good gas mileage, great torque for passing, dash color

Needs more leg and head room, I'm 6ft tall and hit my head everyday on the pillar, if was difficult to have passengers, softer seats, separate the stereo from the heat (they did in 06 model), fix the wide steering prob

Single foot seeks pedal to mash...
By Twitch

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mistakenly bought this car for my wife, and wished I'd given her my car and kept this one for myself instead! This is truly a driver's car. Bose system makes your ears dance. I found myself out in the garage more than once just listening to a new cd. Honest. And once you back it out of the garage, let the fun begin! Ford Duratec V6 has a nice exhaust note when pushed. The platform/suspension sometimes feels like it was designed for the lighter 4-cyl, but the V6 will pin your ears back if you hit your corners at mid-range rpm! 6-speed transmission geared a bit odd between 1st and 2nd, but sweet between 5th and 6th on road trips. And 3rd/4th gears make you over-eager to pass anyone.

The Bose system will make you cry when you finally have to sell it. Finely-tuned suspension + low-profile (aka expensive) grippy tires + a platform designed to have a low center of gravity = cornering like a rockstar on the red carpet. Thankfully the seats have decent bolstering to hold you in!!

The sport seats, suspension and low-profile tires that make you feel like a sports-car genius when you're zooming around town; but are the same features that make some a bit irritable on road trips. Also, cold weather encouraged the Ford V6 to burn oil (2 liters?), but my 2000 Honda never did that.