Used 2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 210 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

My First Car
By bullrunlover

2005 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As this being my first vehicle, it was a good choice, especially with TCS (Traction Control System), I've had it for almost a whole year and mine has 68,500 miles. The only problem I've had with it was the A/C, which doesn't blow very well, and a terrible creaking noise coming from the engine area when I rev it or turn on the A/C.
The brakes are amazing, they have to go through pretty bad situations in my area due to bad drivers. The build quality of the interior is pretty bad, the fuse door and some of the unnecessary bits and pieces have came off and I've had to put them back on while driving, which can be dangerous. But overall, this car has been one that I'd keep until it's inherited.

I love the red color, it matches the black interior, especially at night! I love the sleek body style, it shows how cute it is and also how it has its mean side. The seats are really comfortable, I feel good doing a 200-300 mile journey without having to stop due to a cramp or if my foot has fell asleep. Even though I don't use them, I love the rear foldable seats, even though the trunk already has enough space already. I love the fact that it loves to rev, the 2.3 liter Inline 4 is powerful enough to get the job done. The 18 gallon tank is pretty good aswell, which is handy for long trips and for school.

The interior style is slightly bland, it's okay but it needs some work. The interior build quality is pretty bad, unimportant pieces tend to fall off or pop out. It needs a few more AC Adaptors for the backseat, they charge their phones too.

Be careful over 100k
By rsavasta

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my '05 Mazda 6 in 2007 with 20k miles. The car ran great, had lots of pep and was very reliable. After 120k miles I started noticing the oil level going down with no noticeable oil leak. It eventually would not start and when I brought it to the dealer they found that the valve seals were leaking and the PVC valve was blowing oil into the cylinders as well as the throttle body. After having the those 3 things replaced and spending $1500, it is running fine. Perhaps this is considered routine maintenance or the dealer ripped me off so beware.

Can I buy another, please?
By a_mightywind

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've found this to be a terrific car.
It's not your typical stodgy wagon.
It is fun to drive, the interior fittings are excellent as is the build quality.
I still love the aggressive exterior styling.
They're not being offered in Canada anymore but, I'm told, they are being offered in Europe.
I hope that situation changes because I would be another for sure.

Attention to detail in the interior. It's a very well fitted out and it's designed to enhance the driving experience. Controls fall easily to hand. The tilting and telescoping wheel makes fine tuning ones' driving position easy. I know it sounds trite but I do like the serious cupholders. The red lit dash does not interfere with night vision. Exterior styling. Who says a wagon has to be boring? Not Mazda, thank goodness.

Clutch is too frail. Needs to last more than 70,000 km. I'm now on my 3rd clutch and it's an expensive replacement (~C$1,800). I live in hilly terrain with congested roads so I suspect that's part of the problem. Radio reception is poor. Needs a little more oomph. Original starter failed early. Dealer recommended 3rd party replacement which is not working well. Next service I will insist on OEM replacement.

Something different in this segment
By byronape

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was searching for a mid-size car with decent power, nice looking, and a V6-MTX combo to replace my aged Maxima.
The 6 fit the bill, and since it's made in Michigan, I could keep my Ford retiree FIL happy.

It had a little over 80k when it bought it, and had a few minor issues that I have yet to deal with.
Almost a year after buying it, I'm still pleased with the way the car drives and handles.
The factory Bose system was terrible, so I swapped the speakers for aftermarket...
fyi you need to swap the amp too or it will sound worse.

Power isn't fantastic, but sufficient for keeping things interesting.
Looks nice and with the leather and sunroof, it feels like a more expensive car.

Leather is nice, but requires some additional upkeep. Sunroof is great. Hatchback makes it very useful for hauling but it still looks like a sporty sedan. Big enough in the back for 4 people as long as the people in the back are not over 6 feet and don't have long legs. Handles great with decent tires, even with a little more body roll than I'd like. Of course, the body roll could just be due to the age\ mileage. The 6-disk CD changer is a nice touch, but I think you have to get the Bose system to get it so it's a bit of a trade off.

It's a little late now since it's been redesigned, but the factory Bose system is not worth it as long as you can get the wheel mounted controls without it. Otherwise, plan on swapping out the amp\sub\speakers if you are an audiophile like me. Also, when the back seat is down, you can hear a lot of rattles and creaks. It isn't overpowering, but it is annoying when the radio is low and you are trying to have a conversation. Otherwise, a little volume on the radio will drown it out completely.

2005 Mazda 6 Sports Wagon Review
By tfrancl

2005 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the car 4 years ago with 40K miles and currently have 82K miles.
This has been an excellent car.
While it is a station wagon it drives and handles very well, more like a sports sedan.
The V-6 and six speed auto is a very good combination of performance and mileage.
It also has a very good Bose aduio system.
The heater, heated seats and AC all preform well.

We have not had any maintenace issues other than the standard upkeep of tires, brakes, etc.

Contrary to some reviews, unless you are drag racing Mustangs and Camareos this car has ample acceleration. It also gets good gas mileage, 20-22 mpg around town and 27-30 mpg, on the highway at full+ Interstate speeds. I do use the recommended 5-W20 synthetic engine oil and keep the tires inflated to 35 psi. An outstand feature of this car is the six-speed automatic transmission, a big reason for the above. This transmission is always in the right gear, either accelerating or decelerating. We live near the CO mountains and this car is a hoot to drive on mountain roads. When you are going downhill you just touch the brake and the transmission shifts down to the next lower gear.

I have been driving for over 50 years and owned over a dozen familly type cars plus a couple of sports cars. Frankly, I do not know what more you could ask from a mid-sized station wagon in particular or a family car in general. I plan to put 150K miles before I even start to consider a trade-in and may even go 200K. I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it.