Used 2004 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 455 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Good Car !!!
By edblackmon

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car has been real good to drive. It has a youthful look. Just enough room for small family. Gas is good with A/C. No problems with vehicle.

fun to drive experience. has go power but not over-berring.

no iPod intergration, aux input, nor sat radio.

Overall we love it
By maz5maz6

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new and have over 50K on it after 4.5 years. Only issues have been an LCD display problem (very recently at the 4.5 year mark so it's out of warranty) and the plastic around the lower end of the steering wheel column rubbing against something and sometimes "creaking" very low as you drive -- otherwise the fit and finish of the car was/is excellent. We avoided the 6cyl version as that was a Ford engine with noted reliability issues. Besides being a little underpowered, the 2.3 4cyl has been excellent so we bought the same the next year in our Mazda5 (which has also been excellent after 50K miles). Overall we've been very pleased with our Mazda6 "Sport" (hatchback).

Hatchback! 60/40 split rear seats + huge trunk carries tons incl 65lb dog+kennel, cat+kennel and our baby in the baby seat. Too bad hatch is not yet offered in the new 6. Front seats very comfy on long (8+ hrs) trips which is what orig sold us on the car after making a long trip in a rental Mazda 6.

Leverage Ford partnership to get the Sync as an option. Offer HID lights as well as adaptive lights (moves as you turn the wheel) as an option on the 6. Offer a hybrid in -any- true Mazda vehicle (the rebadged Ford Escape hybrid does not count -- I want Mazda reliability, not Ford reliability!)

Great Car!
By Lee

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the money (and even for cars that are more expensive), this car is phenomenal. GREAT sound system, very fast, comfortable, sleek features, many options that you cannot get with other non-luxury cars. Can't beat the performance, style, and overall quality for under $30,000. I used to have a Mercedes coup before the kids came along and this even beats that

Sound system, exterior design, performance

On the manual models, the leather on the shifter wears out quickly, seats can stain easily if you don't fabric- guard them

Good, but not that good
By Jeremy

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda in Jan of 2005 new. I was a great price and I could not resist it. However, the had problems within the first year of owning the it. I had to replace the tires after 20K of driving. In year 2 I had to replace the breaks. I also noticed that I was getting less than 300 miles to the tank, which was pretty sad considering I drive mostly highway at 70-75 mph. Now, I am by no means an aggressive driver these types of issues should not happen in such a short amount of time. In year 3 my battery died,but what got me was that I had to replace the shock. I traded this one in for a Honda, but I think I got a lemon on this one.

It is a peppy car. Great for passing if needed. Sport look and handles great!

Brighter headlights, better shocks, and tires that don't go bald after 15-20K (after market purchase would fix this).

Great Car
By j Smith

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Nearing 90,000 miles with zero problems. The only issue has been a few interior rattles that come and go depending on the outside temperature. It looks like I might be wearing out the drivers seat. Very fun to drive, cannot understand why Mazda decided to redesign the car?

Performance and handling