Used 2004 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 330 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Great Bang for the Buck!
By VengefulTick

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new for my wife in early 2004. We broke it in by driving it from Colorado Springs, CO to Anchorage, AK via Canada. It has never let us down, always been a great car

Fun to drive! Interior space/design, exterior design.

None for the money.

Fun to drive but with issues
By Davey

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004 and love the way it drives. Very quick and fun to drive. However, there have been reliability issues including a clutch that just doesn't seem to catch shifting first to second, the starter had to be replaced and finally, the cable that connected my shifter to the engine snapped and I could no longer shift my car into gear. Very puzzling and the dealership had no idea why that would have happened. I really do love my car but wish it was more reliable. Also, it is terrible in the snow with all-season tires.

Speed, interior and exterior design are sharp

Improve reliability and knowledge of some seemingly fundamental defects

nice car
By Dave

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car (2004 S sedan) as a demo, Got it for my wife. great car. have driven it 66,000 miles and have had 0 problems.It needed a new driver seat, but they replaced it under warranty. It still has the factory brakes on it. The interior is a little cramped for bigger folks.

style, color (ash) handling

better turn ratio, less road noise.

Great Car
By James C

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought our '04 used, it had 90,000km on it, We've had it for about 3 weeks now and it's been a dream driving it. We shopped for over 1 year and found this to be the perfect car. We have a 9 month old daughter and needed a car that was big enough for everything we had to lug around, as well as be fun to drive. The 6 hit the mark. With the car seat in the center of the back seat (due to side airbags deployed from front seats) there is still enough room to put the front seats all the way back. The 3L V6 is a little big for what we wanted, but with the 5 speed manual, it's a lot of fun to drive and so far the fuel mileage seems to be good, even in cold winter driving (Canada).

Transmission has a nice feel to it when shifting. Interior/exterior look sharp. 17" wheels and dual chrome exhaust (that's the kid in me).

Side airbags could be top mounted curtain.

Mom with a sports car
By G Law

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda 6, I am usually one to trade a car after a year or two. This is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle and I plan to keep it as long as I can. I love the way people think because it's sedan, it has no get up and go, I'm proud to say my 6 keeps up with the big dogs. My husband's Nissan is luxury filled but I love the sportiness of the 6 and prefer it any day of the week. Before my 6 I always wanted to drive his car and now he always wants to drive mine. The bold style turns heads and you can be a cool mom with four doors. Mazda hit the mark on this one. Routine maintenance is all it's ever needed and with that I'm grateful. My husband says it's deceptively fast!

V6 engine, dashboard controls, storage space for everything, sleek style, durability, and just a great car. I would buy another and another.

The rear window defrost could stand to work a little faster and the seats could be a little softer. Other than that everything's great!