Used 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon

s 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (66 reviews )

Get one
By willsing4gumbo

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace a Miata lost to Katrina. I absolutely love it! This is my 11th Mazda. Have only had to do oil and other fluid changes, and put a set of tires on it at 50K. I swapped the noisy Michelins for Riken Raptors and it handles as if on rails. I use it to haul my kayaks, and it performs well loaded down with two 14 foot ocean kayaks

Bose CD, power moonroof, heated leather seats, sport shift stick.

alarm is way too sensitive, would like better MPG, but I can deal with 20 mpg.

Re-review after several years
By Jeff in Durham NC

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Unhappy originally due to build quality and still annoyed by intermittent rattles in dash. Also thought the ride was too harsh; replaced the original Michelins (lasted only 33k miles!) with Hankooks and it was like getting a new car...still handles well but doesn't jar your teeth loose on every pothole. About 58K miles now and have done front brakes, tires, a battery and oil changes every 3k and this thing just runs like a champ. Still looks good and since they're not going to offer the new 6 in a wagon, I'm going to hang onto this thing - nothing else out there tempts me yet. First car I've had that I like more as time goes on. Normally by now I'd be itching to trade.

Interior styling, very good AC, tan leather seats holding up well.

Mileage isn't so hot but I'm a leadfoot; auto tranny gets confused on sudden acceleration and hunts for the right gear to downshift to (leaving the engine racing but you not going any faster).

2004 Sport Wagon
By cbohrer

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used with 56K on it. Love the handling and the styling. Different than the typical midsize car. I get a lot of double takes when driving it. Handles as well as my BMW 528it. Good size vehicle. Comfortable ride and good visibility. Only have had the oil changed, no problems yet. Plenty of get up and go, but the mileage could be better. I drive mostly interstate and have been averaging 26-27 MPG. I used to get nearly 30 MPG on the Bimmer, and it was bigger and heavier. It is noisier on the road, but this could be the tires on it. Two are OEM and two are different brand. I like the dash lighting.

Size of the car, usefullness of the wagon. Handling tops the list. I own a Miata and you can tell it has the same heritage. Overall driving experience. Comfortable on the road.

Better gas mileage. More adjustments to heated seats. One touch up and down windows all the way around. How expensive can that be? Some minor things on the heat/AC read out. Return to prior reading (ambient temp) after you change setting rather than having to do it manually. Auto open/close to S/R

Consider the mileage
By kenny g

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a Mazda 6 wagon new in late 2004. Love the car except for 2 fatal flaws. It gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. At best 16 mpg in town and 21 on the road. Therefore I never drive it around town which is most of my driving. The mileage compares to a Hummer! The other fatal flaw is a super wide turning radius making city parking a real chore. It's very hard to get into tight urban parking spots. I've had 2 re-calls already in under 2 years while other Hondas/Toyotas I've owned never had any recalls. The car drives great, handles well and easily fits 4 adults and gear for a long road trip, but the awful mileage really bothers me!

Roomy, good value for price, plenty of power. Rear seats fold completely flat making it easier to stow a bike or skis.

Horrible gas mileage, so much for reducing our carbon footprint. The low rider tires/wheels are a dumb idea. You will bump curbs and trash the alloy wheels the first time you drive it.

nearly perfect family car for 4
By Bob

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a practical, fun, fast and economical car. No problems. Fuel economy has been 22 city and 28-30 hwy. The manual says gas tank should hold 18 gallons, but only holds 16.5. No wheel lock key came with the car, which caused surprise when time came to change tires. Not much range/warning when low fuel light comes on.

Great comfort, storage and style. 5 speed (hard to buy these days). Very sporty.

Thicker, softer steering wheel. I was not able to add tow hitch!