Used 2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Wishing I bought a Odyssey or Sienna
By joyfulgirl_3

Update 01/06/2017
I still have the car. It's got 62K on it. The only repair done was a stabilizer bar for $120 which made it drive like new. Front end was really shaky before. I've done the oil changes, got new tires, and changed front brakes.

Agree with my original review. I think I got a good deal on mine used. I would not pay 18-20K+ for this car.
Driving forward is great. I feel there are a lot of weird blind spots backing up...even w/all the windows.

If you fold the back seats down for what would be normal trunk space in a car, you have only 2 seats in the back (no middle seat).

It is nice you can fold all the seats down and haul items. Fit a small Ikea couch in there, bicycles etc.

I'll drive it til it dies, b/c that's what I do with cars. But, I wouldn't buy it again. It's served it's purpose but could be better.

I can't seem to find where to access the best/worst feature input.
Best:
It's been reliable.
Sliding doors are great for kids so they don't ding other cars.
Easy to park.

Worst:
Seat fabric is cheap. Others have posted similar comments that spills can't be cleaned off.
Panel display is nice looking but the inside of the car seems very cheap/basic. Not looking for luxury but cars I had 15-20 years ago (basic cars) were nicer looking/more solid than this. If anyone pays close to sticker price, I think you could get a much better interior in a base car.
Original tires didn't last long.
Road noise was bad w/original. Much better with Michelins.
Horrible in slick/snow conditions. H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. As in, with new tires, accelerating slowly from stop, very fishy in rain...snow is worse.

Original Post:
I bought a 2012 used with 8.5K. It was flawless except for a stain on the front passenger seat which I have been unable to remove. Another stain is on a back seat that I can't remove. Needs better seat fabric- seems cheap.

I have 2 kids and am finding that as my baby turned into toddler, and with a 9 year old, we are outgrowing the car with backpacks, soccer stuff etc.

If we had another child, there'd be little room for a stroller. No way this car is functional for 4 kids full-time.

Since I bought it, the gas mileage has gone down considerably though it's well maintained by Mazda.

Great to drive forward...seems to have lots of blind spots in spite of all the windows.

Fantastic vehicle
By troyohchatter

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The specs tell the story of a very average vehicle.
Average power, MPG, etc.
But just drive it.
Handles great, the seating position is ideal, the automatic drivetrain is near perfect, even for a guy that prefers a manual, and it can seat six adults in a pinch (front and middle rows move up a notch).
The vehicle is tight as a drum, low noise level, and overall is tighter than the last Honda we had, a 2003 CR-V.
I have no idea why anyone with kids would want doors that are not sliders.
Sliding doors do not hit other cars in parking lots and allow easy access to child seats.

Build quality. The door jams don't move in the openings like most Hondas, it's TIGHT! The engine doesn't have to rev to create usable power and the transmission keeps the engine at the ideal RPM. The ergonomics are refreshing, with large knobs and buttons that can be manipulated without taking your eyes off of the road. The road RPM is low and the car will run any speed you choose with little effort. The highest praise I can give the Mazda5 is that if you didn't turn around and look at the room you would swear you were driving a small, sharp handling compact hatch. Oh, and it's a steal, running the same or less than most 4 door hatches.

Really splitting hairs here because this is as happy as I have been with a vehicle in decades. Rear cargo light needs to be located in the roof rather than the side rather than the Mazda3 right side location. Apply some of the Skyactive tech to increase MPG. Cupholders on the outer dashboard like the Honda Fit. More colors. I understand it's difficult to add more equipment like overseas because you get real close to one of the bigger minivans but maybe a few items like the auto dimming mirror (we had it installed as a Mazda accessory.)

Mini Minivan Impulse
By presappl

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We were planning to buy the CX-7 when we saw the Mazda 5. While my husband test drove the car, one of my daughter's and I sat in the very back seats and raised our hands like we were on a roller coaster ride -- we had too much fun on the test drive! It is a cute (love the smiling face), fun car, and I love to tell people about our mini minivan's features. The low car height makes it easier for my daughter with disabilities to get in and out. The sliding doors have been very good and helpful in many situations. However, I do wish we had purchased the CX-7 for the height, size, and space. One thing I really appreciate about this car is its performance on inclines. The car is good to go up hills and plateaus, and does not seem to be taxed much at all. Only once in a while, when really taxed, does one have to really accelerate to get the car to maintain a constant speed on a hill.

And while you can raise the driver's seat to make it higher, it is just lacking the SUV feel/height which I miss very much. And even though the transmission seems to do fine going up hills, often on regular roads, the car feels like it needs help shifting into the correct gear. Sometimes I will use the manual shift for a little while and then switch back - sometimes it is better, sometimes it is not. At approximately 50,000, the car needs a second set of brakes, a second set of tires, and a new serpentine belt. The man at the shop said that Mazdas are notorious for going through brakes and tires.

The car seems to be lower and longer than expected which makes it harder for me to park and has resulted in more scrapes to the front bumper. In addition, it is hard to see around parts of the car to actually see out the windows. The placement of some of the corners seems strange. One has to look several different ways to make sure an area is truly clear.

And cosmetically, I have been unable to clean spills on the upholstery. All of the seats have splotches where something has been spilled and "cleaned".
RIGHT after we bought the car, I had to have the driver's seat adjusted as the mechanism by which it scoots front and back (close and far from the steering wheel) was not catching and holding properly. This has now happened to one of the back seats, too. And while trying to work with that chair, the top part of the seat folded down, but the seatbelt attachment/lock beside the seat did not (very common) and the seatbelt attachment broke into many pieces.

Great Value
By ivanch

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 offers great value for the money.
I purchased a brand new 2012 model in March 2013 with a nice discount where
the price was comparable to a 2013 Hyundai Elantra.
At that price, the extra room of the Mazda 5 made it an unbeatable deal.

The Mazda 5 touring is a great vehicle because it fits 6 passengers, it is fun to drive, it is the perfect size for a person who either wants a smaller minivan or a larger car.
This vehicle can take kids around but also serves as a nice commuter car with ample room and height when compared to other cars.

Seating capacity for 6. Middle and back seats fold down to give room for cargo space if needed. Cargo net. Bluetooth. Fun to drive.

More power to the transmission when going uphill. Gas mileage could be better.

Almost Perfect
By oakwind

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2012 Mazda 5 in February of 2013 with 10 miles on the odometer.
Upgrading from a '96 Corolla with 166K and 27/34 mpg.
I got all the room extra I wanted and more but was disappointed in the mpg (24mpg).
I am more of an SUV kind of person rather than a "mini-van".
It's size and body style is more inline with the Rav4 & CRV that I looked at with a better price and mpg than they offered.
I wished the milage was better and there was a bigger covered center console.
I could have gotten this with new Mazda CX-5, but the bench seat didn't fold FLAT and the front 'racing" seats were hard & uncomfortable.
Every time I drive ZoomZoom, I find something else about it I like

I love the Flat folding cargo capacity. Tons of room in the back without loosing the second row seating

The center console needs to be larger, taller and covered so you can put things in it and not worry about them being seen or something spilled. Adjustable roof rack and rails on the top, instead of the removable fixed point cross bars. This would increase the "sporty" look and provide added hauling capacity for the family trips