Used 2008 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

6 month review
By Mark

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Well we have had our 2008 mazda5 sport for over 6 mos now and figured it was time to give our thoughts. First living in a snowy, hilly area the winter handling and hill climbing power are both average at best. It lags at hill climbing, especially at highway speeds. Fuel efficiency has been pretty good maybe even a little better than rated. The interior design is very accommodating &comfortable. The rear seats are easy to fold/unfold and the design of the controls is very intuitive. Cargo space with the third row up is minimal but with it down we can easily fit our two week groceries and more in the back. Reliability has been perfect so far. Black interior impossible to keep clean.

Cruise and radio controls on steering wheel. MP3 Jack which will also allow you to plug in a portable dvd player. Cargo space with third row seats folded.

A bigger engine for more power. Possibly an awd option

Comfortable with power to spare!
By SHAWN HILL

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased the Mazda5 to replace an aging and not very fuel efficient Ford Freestar minivan. As we still needed a vehicle that could sit at least 6 people but we wanted something more economical the scope of our search was limited. After test driving the Ford TaurusX, Rio Rondo and the Mazda5 and comparing the prices for each it was quickly obvious that the Mazda5 was the best choice. After 6 months of use we are thrilled with our choice. We've been getting 26 mpg in all around driving and 30 mpg on exclusively highway miles. The engine has plenty of pep and you can chirp the tires at a moments notice.

FUEL ECONOMY! Spacious interior, comfortable seating (even for adults in the third row of seats). Plenty of power - the 4cyl, 153hp engine has MORE than enough power to get you going even loaded with 4 adults, packed with gear and a 17 ft canoe strapped to the roof.

Roof rails are a MUST! Incorporate the "karakuri" 7th seat for the North American model. A change/coin tray would be nice.

Great Car
By AdoboDude

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car on Dec 31, 2007. 2008 Mazda 5 GT. Power is adequate. Acceleration is ok, handling is superb, great gas mileage. About 23-25 mpg in LA traffic, but I did log 31 mpg going to San Francisco with 3 adults and 2 kids. Took me a long time to decide between the new CRV to the 5, but I sincerely believe that I made the right choice.

Bluetooth, 6 in dash cd change, auto-dim rear view mirror, handling

It would be nice to have a third seat in the back row seat.

It thinks it's a van... but it's not
By dee

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Thought it would be a smaller alternative to a van, bought it when gas was $4.00+. It is way too small, can haul 6 people/4 with stuff, but not both. Cons: non-lighted mirrors, small useless cubbies without lids, industrial looking fabric, door ajar light doesn't specify which door, gas cap is very hard to get off, wimpy horn, can't close windows with car off, small sunroof, would switch volume with placement of radio change buttons (don't change volume often, but you always change stations, add on/off button), cubbie under middle seat can't be accessed while driving, sunshade is too short-useless, light in truck have off/on/door, armrest must be up to access back.

Fun to drive, just wish it was a foot longer and a foot wider. The six seats is a big plus, that's what sold me on the car (since most small SUVs are only 5 seaters).

Parking brake come up farther to be seen; switch places on key fob so unlock is on top, hard to find in dark; don't like lit dash (think headlights on when they aren't & when I turn car off, the dash goes off even when headlights on); smaller back pillars with bigger back window, plus above.

I am in love!!
By dopey

2008 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love this car!! It has every feature you want. I didn't want an suv or mini- van. This car is perfect. It is so much fun to drive. I didn't like the style at first. The car grows on you. All my neighbors compliment the car every time I see them. It's great for a small family. My 2 and half year old loves having his own seat too. The only down fall is my stroller fits on an angle. Also, the automatic car starter from Mazda is awesome. It worth every penny.

seating, auto climate control, control options on steering wheel, Sliding doors, storage under the 2nd row seats, and all the cup holders. Mazda's bumper to bumper extended warranty is a great option also

Just a little wider!! and more safety options like traction control would be nice.