Used 2008 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

owned it 1 month & have tried to sell it
By mary

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Hate it, way too small, cheaply made, inside scuffs easily, only 2 choices for exterior color if you don't want the too light cream interior-ugly gray and too hot black. The front passenger seat is so small it's claustrophobic, useless trunk with 3rd row up, 2nd row barely fits 2 small kids and their back packs. The worst vehicle I've had in 35+ years of driving. My 13 year old van I got rid of for this car was far superior. AC is not intuitive. Car is too narrow to fit my soccer foldable chair in. I guess if you buy cheap,you get cheap.

fun to drive, like that back seat splits as well as the cover for the trunk splits, like arms rests in middle and cubby between seats, but that's it.

More bins of a useful size with lids, ESC, all seats are too small, I have young kids and it's still cramped. Sunvisor is too short, I have the drivers seat well forward and it stops before I start. Way more trunk room, if you have kids, you have stuff.

Everything You Need
By jonjae

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I can't think of another vehicle with this much functionality AND good gas mileage. You might get more room from a full size minivan, but you also will only get 16-17 mpg in the city. I have received 23-25 mpg in the city and 28 highway. I bought this car used after I had a chance to rent one. The third row is small but is just fine for your kids. I have sat back there and wouldn't mind sitting there for around town outings. It's just nice to have the option to transport up to six people occasionally. I owned a 2002 Protege which was a litte unrefined regarding road noise. This is no Lexus but definitely is improved and more than satisfactory, even on the highway.

Exterior styling, low price, fuel economy, third row seating, good safety ratings, generous standard features, the power is satisfactory with enough acceleration ability.

A liitle more power would be nice but not at the expense of fuel economy. Some have complained about a lack of horsepower but I find it sufficient, even with two adults and two children. A little more driver leg room would be nice.

I love this car.
By fieryspirit

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

With two babies, I love the fact that there are sliding doors. It's sleek design makes me feel like I am in a space shuttle. :) The fabric is easy to clean. I live in a small town with no highways, so driving around I get 29-30 mpg...which is awesome!! The price was decent too. Never thought that I would own a Mazda...went to buy a Nissan truck with my husband and saw this vehicle and fell in love. I am so happy that we bought it. Plus, the Mazda version of AAA is really reliable.

Sliding doors. Hatchback. The fuel economy. The 2nd row tray that you can fold into the seat. Arm rests. 2 rows of folding seats. The exterior look. It drives really easy and is fairly quiet.

All wheel drive would be nice. Oh yeah, and a better grocery net. I do not like the way that the one I have is installed.

Great little vehicle!
By Steve

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We looked at all vans, but balked at the $! Mazda hit it right with price and features. We have 2 teens, and most of the time the 3rd seat is folded flat. Much usable space this way, and easy to convert if hauling more kids around. Tough going in the snow, the GT wheels look cool, but the wide, low profile tires are tough in the snow. As I told my wife, they do plow here, and we only had issue when everyone else did too, so no biggie. Love the Bluetooth, all the nooks and crannies, and total flexibility in this good looking little mover. We also love how sporty it drives, how well it parks and fits in the garage, and the zesty copper paint!

Heated seats, I-Pod port, stereo sounds great, climate control, adjustable headlights, and the trick 2nd row seats, fuel economy, (25 mph avg so far) with a smaller tank to save $ at the pump!

anti-skid would be nice, along with a change dish and longer front seat bottoms. I had to tint the windows, does the sun not shine in Europe?

6 month review
By Mark

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Well we have had our 2008 mazda5 sport for over 6 mos now and figured it was time to give our thoughts. First living in a snowy, hilly area the winter handling and hill climbing power are both average at best. It lags at hill climbing, especially at highway speeds. Fuel efficiency has been pretty good maybe even a little better than rated. The interior design is very accommodating &comfortable. The rear seats are easy to fold/unfold and the design of the controls is very intuitive. Cargo space with the third row up is minimal but with it down we can easily fit our two week groceries and more in the back. Reliability has been perfect so far. Black interior impossible to keep clean.

Cruise and radio controls on steering wheel. MP3 Jack which will also allow you to plug in a portable dvd player. Cargo space with third row seats folded.

A bigger engine for more power. Possibly an awd option