Used 2008 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda 5

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Suprisingly fun to drive van!
By tristanboy

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car used. Currently around 34,000 miles. Averaging around 24 mpg mixed. Car has a decent amount of pep for around town, lacking in passing power. Responsive 5-speed auto, with manual control. Love the space for 6, although if all seats are up there is small cargo space behind the third row. Clever packaging and storage with the huge glovebox and flip open second row bottoms. Love the armrests. Steering feel is lively. A bit of wind noise at highway speeds. Beware of suspension problems with the 5. I have noticed some creaking, look into it before buying.

Great space. Practical sliding doors. Maneuverable and not too big. Great sightlines. Respectful of gas. I find the look to be rather attractive for a van.

I personally thinks it looks better than the current 5. Hopefully, when the new 5 will look much better. Add the Skyactiv engine from the 3 to get better gas mileage. Overall, very good van.

Transmission failed at 65,000 miles
By melissad1

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2008 Mazda5 two years ago. It has been a fairly decent car, good interior space and gas mileage. Recently, the AT light came on. I took it to our local reliable mechanic. The car now needs a new transmission. I called and pleaded our case with the local Mazda dealership and with Mazda US. Neither of them will do anything to help us. They won't even offer discounted parts. It is ridiculous that the transmission would fail at 65,000 miles. It is even more ridiculous that Mazda doesn't stand behind their cars. I cannot recommend that anyone purchase this car or any Mazda for that matter.

Not Bad.
By dudechuck

2008 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Mazda5 based on a my wife's friend.
She had one and loved it.
She had the '07, and by reading reviews we settled on the '08.
It was nice for a family of four, once our child was able to seat forward facing.
There is not enough room for a rear facing car seat in the second row.
You can do it but the person in the front seat has to scoot way up for and it is not comfortable.
It was reliable all except the power steering would go out.
It was repleced on a recall for free and we did not have any further problems.
It was terrible in the snow and got stuck several times in a few inches of snow.
The engine is also way to small for the vehicle, with limited highway power.

I like the automatic climate control, the sliding doors, and the six disc CD changer. We had a roof dvd player installed later and it saved us on long trips.

It needs a bigger engine. The engine does not have enough power for the size of vehicle that it is. It needs traction control and all wheel drive. I understand that traction control is now standard on the new models. It also needs standard side curtain air bags for the entire car not just the front. I don't get why anyone should pay extra for saftey features. The rotors also warp on the car and cause vibration during braking.

Good and Bad
By bsdgbach

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This van is nice for a short person (under 5'2")
Even with the front seat all the way back a 6' person is crunched up. I get the recommended oil changes and every time I go there is a problem that ends up costing $$$. I even with warranty on it.
I have replaced the tires. We bought this in mid 08. with in 6 months the 1 of the brakes had a problem.
In the past 6 mo. there is a sorta squeaking sound. Coming from underneath every little bump/turn. Banging from underneath in back last year was fixed. Now another banging coming from front. Mechanic tightened up everything-But still there.
Windshield wiper rarely work as supposed to-usually need to adjust manually.

I love the sliding back door (easy to get the kids out when close to cars). Turning corners -still takes corners smoothly. I like the turning radius (very small) I like the hiding area under middle row seats. The extra row of seats/storage depending on my needs. Love the arm rest in the front and the middle row seats.

Cup holders need to be in a better place, and more of them up front. Higher arm rest. Automatic headlight Turn On/off when car turns on/off. Front bumper needs to be higher-they are to low to ground for when the snow on the roads gets high. Better quality driver side floor mat. Don't use leather from pigs-when it is damp the car smells a little like a pig farm. Heat to the middle row seats- thankfully it has air conditioning but really needs heat also.

Still love the little guy but
By ajl

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

An update to the previous review. I'd still buy this vehicle again. But I will echo previous reviewers comments. Still the original Toyos, but I have 4 snow tires for the winter,which I highly recommend (Low profile all seasons are not good for snow). The original Toyos might have 9000 miles on them and are half worn out.We have a suspension noise in the back that keeps coming back. Dealer has been great,even though we didn't buy it there. No steering issues, but there is a recall. A great little vehicle, but it does have its flaws (all cars do, they are complex machines) There is no such thing as a perfect car.

Driving characteristics, sliding doors, fuel economy (have seen 30+mpg on the highway) still a great value even with all options.

Another 20 horsepower would nice (or the turbo-diesel) Plastics still a bit cheap and scratch easily, hunger for tires. A few more storage places would be nice. Hopefully Mazda fixes these things on the 2012. Just don't change the Zoom Zoom feeling!