Used 2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Fun and useful all in one package!
By 5For5

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We traded our Honda Pilot earlier this year for the Mazda5. The Pilot is a great car, but it's not the best if you're short (5'2") like me for getting children, groceries, and strollers in and out. The 5 is awesome! It has tons of room for a wagon or my bike plus room for the children. They can open the doors and get in themselves which is a blessing. And it's so much fun to drive. It's the best part of going to work. :) I haven't enjoyed a car this much since I had my beloved old Escort.

They styling is like minivan eye candy. Love the extra space in the middle captain's chairs. Fantastic turning radius. I've tracked my MPG and it's 25.5. My husband gets 23 though with the zoom zoom. :) The steering wheel controls are great, as well as the moonroof. The Sirius and CD are fantastic.

Upgrade the plastic a bit on the inside. Tinted windows would be really nice. Add the jump seat for a 7th passenger like the Japanese version (Premacy). Toss some of the fun Premacy colors over here too, like the dark purple and fire engine red. :)

Re-evaluation
By jc

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I read a lot of reviews about this vehicle from different websites and after some test drives, we bought this vehicle. I like the features but I totally dislike the stiff leather seats and the stiff ride. The road noise, harshness and vibration are pronounced. We used to have an 05 Toyota Sienna and this is not even a mile close to the comfort of it. This vehicle does have its strengths too but riding comfort is not one of them. I tried the other trims later, the sport and the touring with fabric seats, for comparison and they ride way better than the GT with leather, but still not even close though to the Sienna that I used to have. If I could just turn back the clock...

Bluetooth tech, adjustable headlamps, interior lay-out

Improve handling and suspension since it has stiff ride, reduce road noise harshness and vibration

A Godsend
By mde83

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my Copper Red Mazda5 Touring in February. Traded a 2 door sports car. In early March I had a motorcycle accident and really messed up my foot. Have been on a walker ever since (not for much longer hopefully). Anyway, the 5 has been a Godsend. The sliding doors let me get in and out easily with my walker and all. And easily carried my wheelchair around and still had room to haul the groceries. Great utility+good looks! I've had no problems to date. My fuel economy is not great (21ish) but I still cannot think of another vehicle I would rather have. After I got mine, my cousin fell in love with it and bought one. And my father is going to pick one up this weekend

Sliding doors!!! Styling - looks like nothing else - certainly not a boxy minivan. Interior design-storage. Decent power, nice handling for a hauler. Lots of standard features. Good value.

Minor gripes - better quality interior plastics. Please get rid of the green display for the climate control/radio + replace with illuminescent. Option for bluetooth and/or nav without requiring leather. Greater rearward travel for front seats.

ONLY 3 row US vehicle w/ manual tranny!
By Dave

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect for a small family. If you're worried it won't do for the family vacation, don't fear! With the cash you save in purchase and fuel over a minivan you can rent a minivan if ever you need to!

Manual transmission, super easy to get baby seat kids i/o of row 2 and keep their older sibs in row 3. Handles great. Super turn radius. We rented a Renault Scenic in the UK and loved having three rows and a 6 speed manual transmission. This is the closest thing to it here.

I'm 6' and while I'm plenty comfortable in this vehicle, my view of the instrumentation is blocked to a great degree by the steering wheel.

Excellent mileage!
By bonboa

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle on a Monday and it was delivered to me on Wednesday September 10, 2008, and it was worth the extra wait. The silver is (in my opinion) the best color for this vehicle! I am a confirmed Honda man. I only purchase Honda products just because that is what I've always done. All I have to say is this, Honda better watch their "6". This is a wonderful car 30.5 mpg mixed cty/hwy! This car is better than a Honda. I've owned 5 so far and may dedicate all future purchases to Mazda.

2008 Mazda 5 sport, sunlight silver, 5 speed auto, with customer preferred package. Favorite? relatively quiet, alloy wheels, and sportiness 30.5 mpg in mixed hwy/city? not even my 2003 Accord can do that!