Used 2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Good choice for the money
By wolf6561

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought our Mazda 5 earlier this year, we were looking for for an economical alternative to an SUV, and this does the job fine. I am 6'3", and the front and second row seats are quite comfortable. The gas mileage is great, the handling is first-rate, and it makes a great family vehicle. My wife picks up our son and 4 neighbor kids from school every day and they love the car. We've also managed to load bicycles, a large dog crate, and have plenty of room left over.

Easy to park and maneuver in tight places, sunroof, fuel economy.

Trailer hitch capability, more horsepower on the engine, AWD availability.

Impressive Car!
By JB

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've come back from a long trip. I drove over 800 miles in just two days on the highway. MPG is 29.8 (impressive), very reliable, strong, solid, quiet, powerful, fun to drive, nimble handling, fuel economy is amazing!!! (29.8 MPG, but, gas tank is a little bit small). Pretty big interior cargo space. I confidently recommend this Mazda 5 to everyone. Thanks Mazda.

MPG (on highway), handling, strong engine, smooth transmission, inner space.

Low positioned driver seat

Big enough, small enough...
By Jay

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car 2 years ago because it was the only car of it's description sold in this country - smaller than a minivan, but with great space efficiency and the availability of a manual transmission. Pros: Space efficiency, smooth shifting manual transmission, unique exterior, loads of head room, better gas mileage than a minivan. Cons: While we've found it adequate (with tinted windows), AC could be stronger. Engine strains a bit - contrary to report elsewhere, you will NOT get higher than 31 or 32 mpg even under ideal conditions. We average about 28 mpg. Original tires wore out way too quickly (about 20,000 miles).

Great compromise for space and economy. Handles very well.

Longer lasting all-season tires. A little stronger engine more suited to a car this size - would probably actually improve gas mileage. Easier access to oil filter (it's behind a large difficult-to-remove plastic panel under the car). Stronger AC with ducts for rear passengers.

Love our new (used) Mazda 5!
By zandy

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2006 Mazda 5 two months ago after looking at other wagons for a long time. We liked the fold down 2nd and 3rd row seats. It is very similar to a minivan with the 2nd row bucket seats, sliding doors, and slightly elevated drive; but I still call it a wagon because I DID NOT want a minivan. Others complained about the AC/heat, but I think it's great - never turn AC above 2. The car drives great. Overall, I'm not that impressed with the MPG - we've only filled up the car twice in the two months we've had it, but both times it averaged in the low 20s. FYI - we're suburbanites in our 30s and only drive 50 mi/wk.

sporty exterior; smooth ride

install passenger side armrest and improve gas mileage!

Small interior
By colleen

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I would never buy this car again. I had to replace the tires, the traction was poor and they leaked after the first year. The third row is to small, no passenger arm rest. The interior can't handle every day use. The dash looks worn after barely two years and the one and only arm rest is totally worn out. Power locks don't work right. The only thing I do like is the sporty feel and look.

Sporty look. You don't feel too low while driving.

Better tires. Better interior quality. More leg room all around, especially the third row. Vents in the back.