Used 2006 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Like brand new!
By pyrexmaniac

2006 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mazda5 for over three years now and with almost 90,000 miles on the odo, I can think of so few flaws that I can't imagine buying any other vehicle as a replacement in a year or so. Let's see.....it eats tires (what front-drive automobile doesn't?) The carpet is on the cheap side (especially in the Northeast with snow and salt.) There is a big chip in the hood that is starting to rust. The battery has been replaced. Everything else (including the brakes) are as-purchased. The quality is absolutely astounding...not a squeak or rattle on the entire vehicle and the highway ride seems to be getting better over time. The manual transmission is sweeter than the icing on any cake.

Handling, Ride, small turning circle, build quality, features, space, versatility, durability, appearance, image...IMAGE? Yes, I actually feel very intelligent driving this car. People know that the Mazda5 is something special....I get so many comments on it and inquiries about my experience.

More 5-speed manuals, please! Not every stick-shift driver wants the base model. that damn armrest on the driver's seat is a nuisance...the front passenger should have it instead. All wheel drive, perhaps? This would be killer in the snowy northeast and southeastern Canada.

A Nice Surprise
By Jim

2006 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looking to save on gas, I traded my Ford Explorer in for my Mazda5, and haven't looked back. I have 4 kids, so the seating was a must. Being a man, I didn't want a minivan, and this was the perfect crossover (?) for my needs. I've had the car for a full year and just over 10,000 miles now. The absolute best feature is that this micro machine drives like a car. I didn't want the spongy van-like drive like in my wife's Grand Caravan, and this car definitely responds when driving. It is a sporty 4-cyl engine and has no problems at all in the city or on the highway. I added window tint all around to defend against Florida summer heat, and the car always draws people's attention. Love it!

Drives like a car, Exterior styling with sport package and window tint, Hidden compartments in second row seats, Easy 2-2-2 seating arrangement allowing kids to flow in and out.

My largest complaint would be the excessive road noise the car has in both city & highway driving. I replaced the worn tires and it helped some, but the noise level is still too loud. Also, my wife complains about the lack of the passenger seat arm rest (I never sit there) & misses it on long trips.

GREAT car with a hidden bug
By pcat007

2006 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the '5' for more than 3 years, and the whole family (2 adults+2 young kids) loves it. I was looking for something spacious, minivan or larger wagon, with manual transmission. My previous car was a VW Eurovan with manual transmission, but the manual transmission is gone for current models. When I heard about the '5', it was an easy decision. I like everything about the car, except that if I don't drive it for a week, the battery is empty. The Mazda dealer couldn't find the bug, but replaced the battery a few times at no cost. Also, I expected better mileage and the AC is not great for people in the 3rd row. Other than that, fun to drive, lots of space, and inexpensive to maintain.

manual transmission, fun to drive, lots of space for 4 people.

Get the electrical stuff right. Where I live (Atlanta, GA) it's impossible to find a manual with a sunroof.

watch out for electrical gremlins!
By nslimm

2006 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 06 GT 5 speed manual. I really enjoy driving this van and I get great mileage. But during cold weather the e-brake doesn't work all the time and the dealership has tried to fix this 6 times. They have now replaced the calipers on one side only. Also, the headlights flash on and off on their own. I live outside the city so it really is noticeable on the highway when the headlights turn off for two seconds or more. They cycle through 9 or 10 times on and off so it looks like I am warning of a police radar trap ahead! NOT FUNNY! My last trip through the mountains the headlights turned off 34 times over 300 miles.

steering wheel controls, 5 speed manual

Improve the cold weather standards, such as the sliding door mech., electrical issues, and the e-brake. Also needed is an interior light switch for the whole interior, so that when the kids drop something the driver can turn on the interior lights.

Excellent for urban and highway driving
By Howard

2006 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving this car for over three years and I am very satisified. It is easy to maneuver and park in city traffic and has an amazingly short turning radius. It is very comfortable for four people traveling long distances. With the manual transmission it gets about 21-22 mpg in the city and 28-30 on the highway. Contrary to some other reports, this car does not seem underpowered to me. It goes through mountains just fine with four passengers, luggage and a bike rack on top. This may be due in part to the manual transmission. However, off-the-line performance is noticeably worse with six in the car. It's not a drag racer, but I have never had any trouble keeping up with traffic.

Handling, good visibility, sliding doors, roomy for traveling for four, reasonable gas mileage (much better in city than previous Windstar). The car also has been very reliable.

The front suspension creaks in cold weather, which is more annoying than a functional problem. I believe this is fixed in later versions. The sliding door locks froze once; this was fixed in a recall and has not happened since. The seventh seat available in other countries would be handy.