Used 2006 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Family Fun
By Sport Car Family

2006 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I are sport car fans. Since we are due a baby girl this week we opted to trade in our 05 Scion TC for a car that is more family oriented. We tried several SUVs and a couple of sedans. What made us buy the Mazda 5 was the price, features and handling. It doesn't feel like a family car - it feels like a sports car. I foresee no issues with room, power or handling. Of course, we'll have to slow things down a bit, but, again, this car handles and drives with a very sporty and peppy feel.

3rd row setting, sliding doors on each side, size, handling, seats, interior material is of good quality.

MP3 player and or auxiliary input on stereo. Why Mazda? Why no MP3 player? Would like the front interior lights to come on when I unlock the doors.

A Family Car a Man Doesn't Mind Driving
By AFAngryWarrior

2006 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

At first I told my wife there was no way I was getting a Mazda 5. It looked like a cross between a minivan and a station wagon. How would I ever show my face on the military installation driving what looks like a minivan. I decided to test drive it though figuring it would drive like a minivan and we could finally stop talking about the Mazda 5. Wow, was I wrong! It drives like a Mazda RX8. I got on the highway to see what it could do, popped it over to manual and off we went able to pass anything that stood in my way. Even did a little stop sign challenge with a Mustang who never knew what hit him. This definitely isn't your typical family car!

Manual/Automatic Crossover transmission, seating configuration, gas mileage, driver seat ergonomics (controls on steering wheel), moonroof, storage room, road handling, full roll down windows on sliding doors.

Better arm rests.

An excellent compromise
By tricky808

2006 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife picked this out from all of the suv/minivan choices. It took us 5 months to make our minds up, and we're satisfied. Sure it might not have everything we want, but for the price, it has enough zip, space, and sportiness to last us. And it's a family vehicle! Remote start, 17 inch wheels, economical and safe. Even the sliding door windows roll down! Anyone with a family will love this one unless you have your heart set on something else. I suppose the only things we wished it had would be a leather option and extra A/C for the back seats, but those are minor compared to what we got.

4 cylinder with variable valve timing. It acts like a small v6 with better gas mileage. Sporty look and performance. Drives like a big sports car. Extra bells and whistles for a good price. All safety features standard. No nickel and dimming sticker shock to keep my family safe.

Leather option. Fifth gear to the AT for extra MPGs on those road trips. Rear A/C. Auto memory seating option (it's a family vehicle and mom and dad are usually not the same size). Offer a MazdaSpeed version instead of that silly promotional paint nonsense. Imagine a real zoom-zoom mini-minivan!

Good Deal
By Mike Murphy

2006 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 1994 Grand Voyager, and wanted something smaller and sportier. I always liked the 1st generation Odyssey--big on the inside, small on the outside. The Mazda's dimensions are almost identical. I especially like the manual transmission. Others have complained it's underpowered. I disagree--I think that we in the US are on a car "power-trip"--there's plenty of power here, esp. with the manual. Handling is surprisingly quite good--you only notice the weight and high center of gravity on high-speed curves. I've consistently gotten 25 + mpg every tankful, with a combo city/highway driving (6085 miles), and the last several tanks have been 29-32 mpg. Love the car.

Utility--drives like a car but has the room of a mini-minivan--bigger than a station wagon. Performance--handles well, great gearbox, very adjustable controls. Good looking in an unusual package--doesn't look like anything else. Good economy, trouble-free so far.

Outside armrests for 2nd row passengers Rate the car for towing light trailers/loads.

Practical minivan alternative
By yendor

2006 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Top choice in practicality, especially for an in-city family. MPG between 22.5 to 30.5 (with roof rack installed). Peppy around town, but requires higher revs (3000-4000) to climb steep hills with a load (although redline is far beyond that). We hear a 'boing' sound from the suspension when we back up over a bump, but dealer says it's OK. Opted for tinted-windows to compensate for lack of AC vents in back. Opted for roof rack to compensate for lack of cargo space with 6 passengers. Opted for aftermarket heated leather seats.

Dual sliding doors w/roll-down windows. Six-passenger capacity. Manual transmission. Tight turning circle. Minimal maintenance required. Second-row recline & slide.

Turbo. Improve seating comfort (more cradle on the sides). Hook for trash bag. MP3/line-in jack. FM tuner is substandard. MPG indicator. Towing capacity. Diesel and/or hybrid. Six-speed transmission. Outer armrests for 2nd row; inner armrest for front passenger. Black interior shows dirt too easily.