Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

60,000 MILE UPDATE
By hoveringfalcon

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I’ve returned to update my review with three years of ownership and 60,000 miles under my belt. I take back what I said last time about the lack of driver seat comfort; a couple months after writing that I found a seating position that works for me. I lowered the seat all the way and that has eliminated all of my leg room problems. Piloting the Mazda is now a pretty comfortable experience if driving for less than a few hours.

Steering and handling is still great. I replaced the stock tires with some Bridgestone Potenza summer rubber and this thing sticks to the pavement like glue.

I have already spoken of its fuel economy but I think it's worth noting that I once achieved 44 mpg on a tank with an average speed of 29 mph. All I did was accelerate gradually and use cruise control a lot. It's possible to get over 600 miles out of a single tank. This is not the most practical car in the world, there isn’t a lot of rear seat legroom and the trunk is small, but you’d be surprised what kind of stuff you can fit into it with the seats folded down. A TV stand in the box? No problem. I haven’t had to visit the dealership for anything other than routine maintenance. Oil changes every 7,000 miles and brake pads are just now needing replaced.

The biggest issue is the tight suspension. The new Mazda3 is a lot better in that respect, but you’ll be feeling a lot of bumps in the '12 and '13 models. I love the design of the interior but it’s a little on the cheap side compared to a few of its competitors. Takes forever to heat up, I get about halfway to work by the time the blue light on the instrument panel disappears and warm air starts coming out of the vents. The AC also isn't the greatest. Still recommend this for someone who wants a fuel efficient car but enjoys driving. Look elsewhere if you want an upscale interior, soft ride or lots of backseat room.

I wish I could say I love the car but...
By jl2157

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted more than ANYTHING for this car to be the last one I purchased for a while. Fuel economy was great (Avg. 30 MPG City) and it's so much fun to drive. Sadly, at around 11K Mi. one of the transmission valves blew. Mazda replaced all the trans. valves without issue. Fuel efficiency dropped to 28 MPG. Then at 19,500 Mi. the transmission gave out entirely. Mazda Roadside was quick to response and the dealer has been excellent. Still, I've only had the car 2 yrs. and the entire transmission is now being replaced!? This was a $24K car. To say I'm very disappointed is an under statement. Sadly, I'm now considering trading this in on a more reliable brand once repairs are done.

25K miles update
By mokosh

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After 25K miles of ownership I would still give it 3 out of 5 for comfort. Had a computer recall update, (high idling rpm) now it's much better (visit your local dealer and let them update the computer and you'll see the engine difference.) Still too low, new model is 3'' higher. Good for commuting, sucks for long trips. Good mpg. Many useless buttons on a cd player. Rear seats don't have enough leg room. Still reliable. Sitting position not as high as other models. Just understand me right, suspension is perfect on a race track, but not very good on a daily basis - the way too firm. Good for the price, however I would take a look on corolla or civic if you prefer more comfortable ride.

MPG, Bluetooth, steering, nice soft material, reliable.

Suspension is too firm, make it softer. We don't have such nice roads here in the US like in Japan. I guess they already lifted up 2014 model to 3'' higher, which is good. Many useless buttons on a cd player. Why don't they just leave a space for your tablet or 3rd party navigation/entertainment system? Increase a leg space for the 2nd row.

Love my Mazda
By jonno86

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've now owned my 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv (auto) for almost 21 months, and I still love the car as if I bought it yesterday.

In true Mazda fashion, the 3 delivers the fun-to-drive factor - it has razor-sharp steering and handling. It really makes the car handle predictably and makes me feel very connected to the road. However, that close connection to the road reduces ride comfort because of the firmer suspension. This is usually the compromise with a sporty-handling car. Reliability has proven to be rock solid. I was very nervous about purchasing the Skyactiv model with its completely new engine and transmission design, but my fears were unfounded.

As I already indicated, handling is phenomenal. The car feels very agile, and it's a blast to drive. The automatic transmission, for the most part, shifts smooth as butter. The engine is also very responsive and is mated well to the transmission. The glovebox is surprisingly large and very deep - excellent storage capacity. The trunk opens and closes with a hydraulic system that does not intrude into the cargo area. I don't have to worry about a trunk hinge crushing anything. The radio and climate controls are simple with big knobs and buttons that are very easy to grasp at a first glance.

Road noise is pronounced, especially on the highway; it can get tiring on long trips. This car needs more sound-dampening materials. The centre console armrest does not extend far enough and doesn't allow me to rest my arm while driving. The engine sounds a bit coarse and loud on a cold start. The RPM drops instantly, however, when the car is placed in gear. This is perfectly normal operation by the way, as the car is retarding ignition timing to quickly heat up the catalytic converter to reduce emissions.

18 Months of Driving
By bronxy192

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for 18 months now with over 8,000 miles. It's a skyactiv 6 speed manual. The only complaints I have thus far is the acceleration and the middle console.
I find myself needing to downshift to pick up any speed. It's a bit sluggish, but once at cruising speed on the highway, the 3 drives great. The suspension is good. I have hit several pot small holes after a wild winter here in New Jersey, and the 3 has handled them with no problems. The middle console is little to be desired. I wish the arm rest would slide out to accommodate my arm, but it's very short and placed in an odd position. It has storage and I find I need to shift and turn my body around to open it.

Fun to drive, exterior appearance. Stock radio sounds good, CDs sound better when played. The room - I'm 6 feet tall and 260 pounds. I fit comfortably in he drivers seat.

Sluggish acceleration, arm rest needs to be longer.