Used 2009 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

a detailed look
By Jimmy P

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the '09 M3i, 2.0 manual. I deliver pizza and do a lot of driving. I've driven nice cars; a porche, some bmw's and a few other nice cars so I'm trying to be completely objective with my review and will break down my scoring on the scale above. Performance: zippy, but not real fast, can't hang with the big boys but the handling is superb, which brought the score up to a 7/10. Comfort: I drive for HOURS! I'm never uncomfortable. 7/10. Fuel economy: I avg 27 mpg...depending on the use of AC and if i'm driving like a maniac which i sometimes do. 350-290 miles per tank.(usually around 320). 7/10. Fun to drive: that the handling is so surprisingly responsive combined

with decent acceleration and power the whole seems greater than the sum of it's parts and is a joy to drive. 8/10. Interior design: handsome, well put together and steering wheel cd/radio controls make it feel better than what you payed for it. needs more though. 7/10. Exterior design

that's subjective as everyone has their own tastes, but I find the front beautiful...the back is ok, kinda stubby but overall an attractive vehicle. 7/10. Build quality And Reliability: 9/10. I put 10,000 miles on it, drive it every day and drive it hard and have not had one single problem.

Awesome car.
By Devin

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car, and as such I am simply glad to have one, but I have fallen in love with pretty much every aspect of the car. It has very good handling and a fairly peppy engine, although it is not a Corvette by any means. The aesthetics are very high quality and good looking both inside and out. Mine came with a 4 speaker audio system, but for a 4 speaker, the sound output is very high quality with rumbling bass and clear trebles. The only gripe I have is that power windows/door locks are only available in higher trim levels costing almost $3000 more. I have also had to replace the gas cap, but apparently this has been redesigned and will not get stuck as my old one did.

AUX audio input, steering wheel audio controls, gear speed indicator in speedometer

Offer a "power package" for less than the price of a new trim level.

So far so good.
By Kevin B

2009 Mazda 3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

All of the features have been covered in other reviews but have two complaints. 1. Someone else mentioned the dirt/rocks issue....for some reason, on this vehicle, the rocks and dirt you pick up from the road rolls around in the wheel wells and is very audible..more so then any other vehicle I have had, even a Toyota Pick UP..so that can be somewhat annoying..I purposely avoid sandy parts of the road cuz I don't want to hear the rocks rattling around for the next 10 seconds.

dashboard, exterior

n/a

Zoom Zoom
By jumpback

2009 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I test drove just about every small car available. None drove like the Mazda 3 Grand Tourer. This vehicle is just snick, snick great. The interior especially is upscale for a small car. If you are looking for value and a not just another boring econobox check this baby out.

Handling. A/C is excellent. Bose system rocks. Seating positions. Quality. 8 cupholders! Dashboard at night.Enormous glove box.

Arm rest is too short. Road noise.

Love it!
By chickie

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 95 Mazda Protege for 13 years before getting my Mazda 3. I am really enjoying this new car. Looks nice and I receive many compliments on it. Rides wonderful and handles wonderful....sporty feel. My hubby remarked how comfortable the front passenger seat is, and he's a big guy. Love the stereo system. Only thing it needs improvement on is gas mileage. Could also use a little more room in back seat. Don't know what the reliability will turn out to be, but gave it a high score based on my 95 Protege. Test drove 5 cars in its class, and this one, by far, was the best. Some felt junky, cheap interiors, handled lousy, or too expensive. This one is best value for the money.

comfort, sporty handling, CD system, style, nice interior...not cheap like other cars in its class.

improve on gas mileage; little more room in back seat; add the seat height adjustment even on base model.