Used 2009 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Love my M3
By Ed

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda M3 is more than I could ask for in value. As a previous Protege Owner the M3 is great. I am having problems with the clutch pedal position and think other comments about finding the gears is from the pedal being too far forward and you have to lift your from the left side foot rest. I am looking for an alternate pedal or will actually modify it myself. The pedal needs to be further back behind the foot rest so you can pivot with your heal, and not have to lift your foot forward and bring your knee up. That is why people are having a hard time finding the gear because they are clutching the way they should but the throw is off on the pedal/

Suspension and acceleration with a standard and small litre motor. The design is great, and dashboard instruments awesome.

Clutch pedal needs to be modified for correct throw. Pedal is too far forward.

Love my Mazda
By buckeye 4ever

2009 Mazda 3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Decided to buy my first Mazda after studying Consumer Reports - so far not disappointed. Like others, the road noise is very noticeable but the car is alot of fun to drive. Only have had 2 issues with car so far (very minor). Was told that the brakes accumulate rust every morning with the humidity but after applying the brakes a few times, is gone (was told this was normal with Mazda's)and also thought had problem with braking system (icon was lite) but turned out to be low tire pressure. Icons almost identical (not good) and was told at dealership they get someone everyday with the same issue. Otherwise, this will be a great car for my daughter when she starts driving. (ugh the thought)

Physical appearance - sporty drive - mp3 capability - huge glove box

doors automatically locking after putting in gear, longer arm rest

typical mazda, great for the $$
By mike w

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned a number of Mazdas over the yrs, all good except the American built 1999 626 - it was junk. Mazda 3 is recommended by me and i do lots of driving. problems ... rear view mirror set too low from dealership, almost wrote off car on third day due to blind spot ... hesitates on a damp mornings going up hills. dealership said knew nothing about it, until i gave them a list of 4 other mazda owners with same problem, and they admitted they all do it. I can live with it, but am careful to put in decent brand name gas, that helps. .... seats are a bit worn after 18 months and underside of glove box all scratched otherwise, its fantastic, too bad they changed the body style this yr

fav features, decent stereo system, good gas mileage, people always comment that it looks great. fits the family, and i look good driving by myself. no blind spots and fun to drive. looks like its worth more than it it. really good car.

fix the hesitation on the cold mornings going up inclines, you know they all do it, so fix it.

a detailed look
By Jimmy P

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the '09 M3i, 2.0 manual. I deliver pizza and do a lot of driving. I've driven nice cars; a porche, some bmw's and a few other nice cars so I'm trying to be completely objective with my review and will break down my scoring on the scale above. Performance: zippy, but not real fast, can't hang with the big boys but the handling is superb, which brought the score up to a 7/10. Comfort: I drive for HOURS! I'm never uncomfortable. 7/10. Fuel economy: I avg 27 mpg...depending on the use of AC and if i'm driving like a maniac which i sometimes do. 350-290 miles per tank.(usually around 320). 7/10. Fun to drive: that the handling is so surprisingly responsive combined

with decent acceleration and power the whole seems greater than the sum of it's parts and is a joy to drive. 8/10. Interior design: handsome, well put together and steering wheel cd/radio controls make it feel better than what you payed for it. needs more though. 7/10. Exterior design

that's subjective as everyone has their own tastes, but I find the front beautiful...the back is ok, kinda stubby but overall an attractive vehicle. 7/10. Build quality And Reliability: 9/10. I put 10,000 miles on it, drive it every day and drive it hard and have not had one single problem.

Awesome car.
By Devin

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car, and as such I am simply glad to have one, but I have fallen in love with pretty much every aspect of the car. It has very good handling and a fairly peppy engine, although it is not a Corvette by any means. The aesthetics are very high quality and good looking both inside and out. Mine came with a 4 speaker audio system, but for a 4 speaker, the sound output is very high quality with rumbling bass and clear trebles. The only gripe I have is that power windows/door locks are only available in higher trim levels costing almost $3000 more. I have also had to replace the gas cap, but apparently this has been redesigned and will not get stuck as my old one did.

AUX audio input, steering wheel audio controls, gear speed indicator in speedometer

Offer a "power package" for less than the price of a new trim level.