Used 2009 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

rattle trap
By girvin

2009 Mazda 3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the mazda3 about a year ago and have driven it 26,000 miles never had a major problem with it other than a rattle in the trunk area cant seem to locate it and the dealer couldn't find either the tires that came on it new were horrible they wore out at 17,000 miles

great style love the steering wheel controls

put better tires on from the factory, better mpg

Better than the competition
By JimB

2009 Mazda 3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Being an engineer, did all the research, looking for the most value and fun without going the the price of the European performance compacts. I've had the car now for a year and a half and, surprisingly, age has made my M3 a better car. Starting off the car can have harsh ride qualities. With age, the ride has mellowed (w/o losing the fun) and the engine performance is still zippy.

fun to drive, most of the important features offered in the 2.0L iTV trim level, such as sun roof, 6CD player.

I run studded snow tires here in Alaska, and you have to have 'em to get around. The road noise is way too loud. Also, you'll want the 6-way seats to find a comfortable driving position. I had to adjust my 4W way up to avoid knocking my right knee against the tranny tunnel.

My Long Term Review After 1 Year
By Fun2Driver

2009 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is an update to my review back in 4/2009, after 1 year plus few months of ownership of my Maz3. The car's still in excellent shape after more than 23k miles of hard driving, mostly long distance highway miles. No major repairs needed besides routine maintenance and oil changes. Overall I have no regret for my ownership. The most major complain though, is from the P205/50VR17 stock tires and Maz3's stiff suspension. The tires are almost worn out (should last 30k miles). They are very noisy. They are all-season tires, but absolutely horrible for driving in snow! Unfortunately, I've moved to a potholes-ridden and snowy state. That proved to be the most unforgiven condition for my Maz3.

So so tires, stiff suspension, low profile wheels, plus quick acceleration and touchy brakes, the Maz3 provided to be tricky to drive on snow. On bad road surfaces, the ride hurts both physically and mentally (hate to feel/hear my car get beat up so badly). It's not the car's own fault, though.

It's really not designed for these conditions. I will change to better performance tires soon, will see how that will help. Another minor complain is the back seats do not fold flat for big cargoes. That's about it for complains. Reliability is so far so good. The fun of driving continues! :)

Great car
By dcpresley89

2009 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car after being very disappointed with my 2008 Civic. I absolutely LOVE my mazda and would not trade it for anything. However, I have had a few issues. The power steering has gone out twice, the wiper motor has gone out, and the side trim has peeled off twice. But Ive been rear ended and hit head on pretty hard, and theres not a scratch on this car. Honestly, Id say this car is worth the money, Very fun to drive, just make sure you get the extended 100k/mile warranty.

Fun to drive, perfect take-off, great passing ability, perfect for long trips and around town, amazing stopping power, and perfect steering.

I wish they had NOT redesigned the new 2010 model, as it looks gaudy and too bulky. The car was perfect how it was up to 2009.

Love my M3
By Ed

2009 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda M3 is more than I could ask for in value. As a previous Protege Owner the M3 is great. I am having problems with the clutch pedal position and think other comments about finding the gears is from the pedal being too far forward and you have to lift your from the left side foot rest. I am looking for an alternate pedal or will actually modify it myself. The pedal needs to be further back behind the foot rest so you can pivot with your heal, and not have to lift your foot forward and bring your knee up. That is why people are having a hard time finding the gear because they are clutching the way they should but the throw is off on the pedal/

Suspension and acceleration with a standard and small litre motor. The design is great, and dashboard instruments awesome.

Clutch pedal needs to be modified for correct throw. Pedal is too far forward.