Used 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

A very well put together car
By AJH

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Having driven it for over a month now, I must say there is absolutely no buyers remorse. Handles very well even if you do feel the body roll a bit more than say a mini but a lot less than the civic. Acceleration isn't great off the line but acceleration in the 40-70 MPH driving band is very adequate for passing. In short the gearing to HP gives you the acceleration where your likely to need it more often than not. Mileage varies based on how sporty I'm driving it. I've done 27 (70 MPH long freeway drive with a small bit of in town stop and go) but the car does give you the urge to well drive so more often I'm getting in the 22-24 range mixed driving.

Handling, moonroof and the automatic transmission with manual shifting is a really nice system.

Six speed transmission. Taller first gear on the existing automatic transmission might be nice.

Great car - zoom zoom
By parusianknight

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Researched new 5-door for past 6 months. The Mazda3 beats every all others, hands down. The build quality is outstanding. The attention to detail and standard features in a "base model" are a lesson to other car builders. The Mazda3 automatic drives like a charm - be careful if you have other drivers in the house - it will quickly become a car of choice. The maintenance schedule is like no other - Sealed automatic transmission - no service required; 1st coolant flush - 100,000 miles; pretty much just oil changes. I recommend the Mazda extended warranty - very reasonably priced and gives you bumper to bumper coverage.

I love the interior styling - the controls were well thought out and the ergonomics are outstanding. We got the in-dash 6-cd changer and moon roof. Highly recommended.

Really, it is a stretch but power driver's seat would be a nice touch. Auto air conditioning. The intelligent key in the Nissan Versa would be a nice touch.

Fun to drive with great value
By Dennis

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know where you can get a better car for the money. The body style, fuel economy, and "fun to drive" factor is amazing. I downsized from an SUV and wanted something sporty but under $20K for mostly city use. After 2,500 miles I am getting 24 MPG in town and 30/31 MPG on the highway. The Mazdaspeed 3 was even more exciting but it was too much car for my ice and snow roads. My only minor gripe is that the seats are a little firm for my taste.

A fully function computer printout for fuel consumption might be useful. The interior rear light for the cargo area is very dim. I have left it on by mistake several times. Seats are rather firm. All black interior looks a little dirty.

Great Car!
By Dean

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Very sporty, fun to drive and loaded with features. The seats are very comfortable, love the aux input, peppy engine (2.3) and best in class looks.

ZOOM-ZOOM !
By Lee

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in my 03 vibe to get ABS, traction control and a little more power, what I got was a car in another league entirely. I thought the vibe handled good when new, but as time went on I realized it wasn't that great (no ABS or traction control). I was surprised to be getting about the same gas mileage with the Mazda3, with better power.

The automatic 5-speed with manual mode is wonderful, even in regular mode it shifts smoothly and downshifts for corners.

The road noise is a little annoying, are there quieter tires?