Used 2008 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

my life post-BMW
By stasia miaskiewicz

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

i am a 50-something woman. 10 years ago i got my midlife crisis car, a BMW 328i. I loved that car. eventually, rather than repair, decided to move on...I must have driven 10 different types of cars before i settled on the mazda3. went for the 2008 because i think the rear lights on the newer models look sinister - just me. it's been 8 months since purchase and i really like this car! - it's fun!! drive one, you'll agree!

it has pickup and handling that make it fun to drive - when you hit the gas, it goes!!! zippy. it is small and manageable - great turning radius, easy to park. like the mute button for the stereo system and bose sound is very good.

highway noise louder than i'd like - sounds like there's a window open somewhere. wish the trunk had a remote. some blind spots at edges of front windshield.

My experience so far
By Jason L

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm driving the 2.0 liter 4 speed auto. Before buying this car, I drove a 2000 Toyota Camry CE. Its really amazing the difference in interior quality between a Toyota and a Mazda. Toyota certainly beats the Mazda hands down in terms of build quality inside the car. I.E. Cheap plastics and poor stitching on cloth seats. That being said, the Mazda3 is leaps and bounds more fun to drive than a Camry. Virtually everything in the performance dept is better, with the exception of low end torque. Maybe its only the 2.0 liter, but the low end torque is a little weak. Once it gets into 3rd/4th gear, it accelerates QUITE nicely. When I need a burst of speed, the car definitely delivers.

-- Excellent performance& crisp handling -- Sharp turn radius - the best! -- Decent gas mileage on the 2.0. Avg 23 mpg. 12 gallon tank (only 10 miles represented on the gas gauge - other 2 are the "reserve tank") -- Comfortable seats with lumbar support -- Very nice 6 speaker system /w aux jack

-- Weak low end torque on the 2.0 -- Cheap plastic interior -- Cloth seats have poor stitching. Its a 2008 and already coming apart. Horrible: F. Dealer says its not included in the bumper to bumper warranty. Scandalous -- Slight rear visibility issues.

Luxury at a lower sticker price!
By arjag2010

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I LOVE my Mazda. I purchased a used 2005 Mazda3s in September of 2009, which was totaled when I was rear-ended in November. I did not hesitate to purchase another Mazda. Taking advantage of the fact that there was a new body style (2010) coming out, I got a great deal on a 2008 3s GT. I definitely recommend the s. The 2.3 makes a difference. I test drove an i and it just didn't have the same sporty feel, especially going up hills. I have had various rentals in the same class as the Mazda, and have also test driven quite a few cars within the class. None have compared. The handling is superb, very tight and responsive.

I purchased a new 3s GT for $18,000 (not excluding tax/title/fees). The xenon headlights, leather, moonroof, heated seats, rain-sensing wipers (never want another car without them!), Bose sound system---where else can you get all of that for this price?!

I wish that the key had an option to pop the trunk. It's irritating to have to use the actual trunk to open it, especially if you want to be careful of scratching the car up.

More amenities than a loaded BMW
By gina4321

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this 2008 Mazda S Grand Touring since July of 2008 and just LOVE it! I sold my BMW X5 to buy this Mazda and it has more bells and whistles. Heated seats, Xenon headlights, leather seats, Bose Stereo, 6 disc, auto wipers etc..It was used with 14k miles and I paid 17500. for this in 2008. What a deal. Currently has 23000. miles on it with no problems what so ever!!

Stereo controls on Steering wheel, auto Xenon headlights, heated seats...

Auto trunk release would be nice..

Can't ask for more
By Spencer

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car less than 1 yr ago after test driving 14 other cars. It was the last 2008 on the lot, and the only options are side airbags, 4 wheel abs, and A/C, so I got it for $13,000 OTD. Handling is superb, especially since I upgraded to 17" alloys with 215 tires over stock steel wheels with 195 tires. I consistently got 38 mpg driving carefully with about 85% hwy...got 42 only time I drove only hwy. Mileage seemed to go down to 33-34 mpg since wheel upgrade, but more verification needed. Acceleration is more than adequate, but you're not going to win too many drag races. Not crazy about clutch as it is a bit light and engagement point is difficult to find. Have not had any issues yet

Very precise gearbox. Interior looks nice and sporty. 4 wheel disc brakes stop car very well. Visibility is good. Auxiliary jack is a nice luxury. Steering is pretty communicative.

All of these problems are very minor, but a 6 speed transmission would be nice. I'm 6 ft tall and my right leg doesn't have enough room. The wipers are terrible but Rain-X solves that problem. More fan speeds would be good; lowest speed blows too much air in some situations. Better clutch feel.