Used 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Ol Dad's Retirement Present to Himself
By Ol DaD

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new car since 1971 so I did lots of research and drove many cars before deciding on the Mazda 3. I needed the utility of 4 doors & a hatch, but wanted a car that was economical & fun. My driving is evenly mixed interstate & city, 5,000 miles since July. So far I'm very pleased with the car. It's fun to drive, quick, handles like it's on rails & never below 30 MPH. Mine is Copper Red, the interior is Beige & Black, very sharp. I have seen only a couple like mine in Indy. The 5-speed is precise & smooth. The traction control permits a squawk in 3 gears, with it off first gear will smoke the tires. Check out the competition, bang for the $$ Mazda wins;-) I would buy it again!

Performance & economy. Looks: distinctive-not everyone has one. Utility: 4 doors, hatch & fold down seats. Comfort: ride is firm but not harsh, seats are comfortable, interior is well thought out, controls are sensible, audio is good, The car is very quiet at speed except on rough pavement.

Beige cloth seats are attractive but hard to keep clean. Black carpet is a lint magnet. Hard plastic on interior shows all scuffs. Rear of car constantly collects dust. Weak horn & speakers which I replaced very easily myself. Rear seat does not fold flat.

Better than expected
By Bob

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Having driven mini-vans for 20+ years, I wanted something more economical (MPG) but still had some room to haul things. I also wanted to stay with Japanese. The M3 wasn't on my radar screen until pretty late in the game. I'm embarrassed to say this but the heated seats sealed the deal for me. The price was VERY attractive, too. Now that I've had the car for a few months and have put 6,000 miles on it, I'm quite enamored with it. Great amenities. It's fun too drive -- too fun maybe. I often have a hard time going easy for the better MPG. I miss the space/convenience of a mini-van but life is all about tradeoffs. Bottom line: no regrets, at least so far.

Handling, 5AT, Headlights -- we live in the woods, Media interface - used with my GPSw/XM-WX, Trip computer -- helps me keep my speed down! I've always had basic vehicles -- I'm enjoying the (unnecessary) bells & whistles a lot.

Heated seats with two heat settings and that shut off automatically (minor). No others -- I like this car a LOT!

Most fun and utility for the money!
By DAVID A

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got the top of the line, hatch back, leather, heated seat, cd, iPod link, manual shift, 2.3 liters, etc. Lots of fun to drive, great looking car, not the most economic small car though. In the city I average 22 mpg. Test drove other similar cars, like Civic etc, M3 is the most fun to drive. I love the hatch back. I have loaded things in the back of this car that I could not have done with any other 4 doors car, Hatch back are considered 5 doors! It should have a roof rack! That is a great let down for me on this car. I learned that it is not available from factory after I bought the car. Now I have a thule, but it is not the same as having a factory one!

Great looking interior and exterior. Very useful extra space with the hatch back. Good fuel economy for the fun. I have a trailer hitch installed

Driver seat not very comfortable for a wide person. It is fine for short rides. Front seats have a type of "side support" that actually will bother you on a long ride. My wife is overweight and she rates riding with me because of the seat. I wish gas mph would be better than 22 mpg in city!

Now I know why they say "Zoom Zoom"
By Amy

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car!! This is my first Mazda! I had traded in a Chevy Cavalier which I had really enjoyed - until I test drove this car! I have the Grand Touring Hatchback. The moonroof is nice and I love the Bose speakers (the sound quality is excellent) and the leather interior is very comfortable! I drive a lot of city miles and average about 22.5 mpg. When I go on trips though and am on the highway I am getting more like 30 mpg! I am very happy with my purchase!

The hatchback is roomy! I love that I can play my Itouch through the speakers. Auto wipers are a nice feature. And it ZOOM ZOOMS!!

I agree that the horn is kinda cheesy but I don't really care about that at all!

Very glad I bought this car!
By JoanC

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is one snappy little car and I'm very pleased with it. I've had it about a week and traded a loaded 2002 Jetta turbo for it (hooray, no more premium gas!). The cars that got great mileage (e.g. the Honda Fit) didn't have the power I need for a local highway where certain onramps force you to merge from a standing stop, so the Mazda was a compromise between mileage and power. It handles and drives beautifully, is well-equipped and well-designed with excellent fit and finish. Cons: there's more road noise than I'm used to and the sporty ride is stiff/bouncy. Also, the automatic transmission shift gates take some getting used to. These are just nits--I highly recommend this car.

Dash layout and lighting, steering wheel audio controls, handling, power, looks. Cupholders everywhere. Covered rear hatch has plenty of room. 60/40 folding back seats that an adult can actually sit in.

Need to do something about road noise, stiff suspension. Get rid of the anachronistic cigarette lighter or put it inside the ashtray where it can't be seen. The rear pillars create significant blind spots.