Used 2008 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 214 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

2008 Mazda3 s hb
By dukefirst

2008 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just traded our 2008 3 for a new 2012 Mazda5. Sad to see it go, the car has been absolutely bulletproof for us from Day 1. Can't recommend it enough. 67k miles and nothing other than scheduled maintenance for us! The is the poor [smart?] man's GTI.

road feel steering autostick shifting stereo

leather wrapped wheel and shift knob wore fast road feel - suspension def not for everyone back seat is tight with a car seat

Yet another engine failed
By densem

2008 Mazda 3 New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

"It must have love but it's over now..."Just as so many of them, my engine failed at just 28k very light miles. Bought the car used (Certified) at d Mazda dealership with only 19k miles. No warning signs, no lights, not even signs of oil consumption. Noticed a subtle rattling noise over 2500 RPM, took it to the dealer - death certificate issued in 2 hours. The car was still under Mazda power train warranty. Mazda Motors of America refused to honor it.
Used top shelf synthetic oil, name-brand filters, never seen jiffy-lube places...kept all records and receipts and yet - warranty denied due to "lack of maintenance".
Save yourself the trouble, do your research, on the 2.3l engine. Don't buy.

Fun to drive, good looks, excellent handling, reasonable build quality.

Better engine, better paint, galvanized body panels. Most of all - customer service.

Mazda 3 high milage reliablity
By ksmike

2008 Mazda 3 New i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2.0 liter, 5 speed manual that I bought new in 2008, which I use for commuting to work in a rural area.
175000 miles now and still get 34-38 mpg (depends on the tires and season). The only part replaced was a new power steering pump was replaced as a recall.
Other than that, changed tires every 40,000 miles (you have to have frequent tire rotations due to positive camber), oil changes every 5000 miles, coolant flush.
I have not even changed sparkplugs, needed an alignment, or even needed to have the brake pads replaced.

Is a very nice handling car. Good chassis.

I guess we need to blame the goverment, but requiring TPS instead of mandating ABS is crazy.

Nice small car
By arizonadragger

2008 Mazda 3 New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 3 for the looks and mpgs. But wasnt thrilled by the mpgs after tracking them for 2 years (24mpg avg). I do a lot of city driving, but expected a little better, hwy wasnt that impressive either, 28-30 most the time. I would blame the 4 speed auto, just not enough gears to go through in the mountains. The cruise control is horrible, set it at 60 and it goes past 65 when it switches gears to accel. Accels down hills in cruise control. Wanted to use a family car but the 3 star rear side crash rating is too scary. Solo city driving, its a very nice car. But I had to sell because it was a terrible roadtrip car that just isnt safe enough.

Interior is well designed and comfortable, even as I am 6 feet tall. Very nice looking car with the 17 inch wheels.

Cruise control and transmission. With the new ones being 6 speed and better mpgs, they made improvements. But still have a 3 star side rear crash on the new models, not good.

4 Years of Driving
By kantankerous

2008 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After 4 years of driving this car, the car runs smooth and have not had any serious issues with the car.
Everything functions well.
I did have to bring the car in for warranty repair because of an oil leak coming from the oil pan but I think my local dealer messed up repairing it and had to replace one of the cylinder head and that took about two weeks.
The tires are just about wear out after 45,000 miles and I didn't experience any issues with tires wearing out fast.
I averaged about 30 MPG on a 2.3 engine but my driving style usually gives me higher MPG than manufacturer's MPG rating.
I couldn't find a vehicle with more features than this car for the price I paid.

Radio controls on steering wheel and AUX plug for MP3/Ipod. The Auto-Stick is a nice feature.

Minor detail but I wish the power window would have a click feature to shut the window all the way like it does when you click to open the windows fully.