Used 2008 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Fun but problematic
By rusxdrums

2008 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love driving this car. I hate how many things have stopped working. Air Conditioner, electric windows, electric door locks, Stereo. All broken. I'll not be buying another mazda. My wife bought a VW rabbit pretty much the same time I bought the mazda and her car still drives like new.
FEH.

Handling

Use better quality parts.

So wonderful I bought another one
By teamsc10190

2008 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2006 Mazda 3 SGT that was my favorite car I'd owned since the early '70's. I decided late in 2009 that I needed to have another one but the second generation 3 was already at Mazda dealerships, sporting a vapid grin that I hated. I needed to find another first generation 3. The search for a SGT variant took me four years to find a low mileage pristine example CA car. When a 5-sp manual, White Pearl with navigation surfaced I pounced on it. It was well worth the effort and the wait. This car consistently delivers in smiles per mile.
With the third generation 3, Mazda recovered the sexy face in a more capable and complete package that will be on my short list in the future.

The razor sharp driving dynamics of this car are characteristic of it's athletic prowess. The car is flat out fun to drive. It feels a whole lot like the "3" from Bavaria for less than half the price. This car is just a solid value and a joy to drive. I call my Mazda 3 "the mailman" because it always delivers. The small manufacturer from Hiroshima really knocked this one out of the park. Bravo! Handsome, chiseled styling and the richest interior in the compact segment are the frosting on the cake.

There are a couple of shortfalls in what is overall a pretty seamless execution. The rear seat could benefit from a couple of inches of additional leg room. The carpeting and sunvisors are dreadfully cheap, and a remote trunk release and heated mirrors should have been part of the SGT package. This is where a samll manufacturer like Mazda is really at a disadvantage where they lack the business scale to justify developing a full featured complement of trim levels.

Engine Failure
By jrl6

2008 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of Mazda engine.
Our story is like many others I am reading, and if only I were aware of the problems with Mazda engine, I would not have experienced such a financial loss.

I bought the 2008 Mazda 3i for my graduate student daughter from a known party, well maintained at 61000 miles.
We continued the routine service/small repairs for the last year.
at 74000 the engine timing chain broke on the freeway, engine overheated and car is a total loss.

Don't go near Mazda, we left the Mazda lot and walked into the Honda dealer, where I have many years of reliability.
Never again Mazda!
You can google the issue and we are not alone.

Very funny to drive
By yleclerc

2008 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and maybe it's the best one I drove in my life. Very powerful for a little sport car but need a better conception for excessif user like me. Very safe to drive, I didn't an non-responsible accident who someone has crashed into me at 50km/h and felt nothing with those airbags.

Perfomance for that cartype, grip on the road, performance breaks, sportive sensation, good sound from speakers and auxilairy input for ipod or mp3 player.

Suspension used very quickly, paint and rust, engine mount.

2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT = Problems
By darkface23

2008 Mazda 3 New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I can't believe any of these reviews I'm reading, so I am moved to write my own TRUTHFUL review.
I bought my 2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT new off the lot.
I made that mistake once, and I won't make it again!

I liked the looks of the vehicle and read reviews that indicated that the car was a good buy, so I purchased.

Problems I have had since buying include: paint pealing off body where rear bumper and quarter panels meet, both sides; carpet wearing out in several spots; brakes are a never ending problem with warped rotors and calipers that make noise constantly; bottom point of rear window is beginning to rust; shock leaked at 80,000 km; motor mount leaked and needed replacing within the first 25,000 km; airbag restraint warning light doesn't turn off, got to take to dealership to fix $$$$$$; automatic transmission needed to be replaced at 110,000 kms as it clunked going into 4th gear; now I hear a loud clicking noise from the gearshift area when it's in park and I depress the brake pedal.