Used 2006 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 329 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Loved this car from the day I bought it
By Phil

2006 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say. From the day I drove it off the lot it just passes the gas stations by and is just a total joy to drive.

Gas mileage is upwards of 35 to 40 on long trips - which is just about every week.

Style,engineering,economy at good price
By jaldav

2006 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Enjoyable to drive. Solid build and handling. Looks sexy. I bought this car last February and so far it's been a good choice when comparing to Nissan, Honda and Toyota. More bang for the buck. I'm planning to hang on to this vehicle for as long as possible since I fear future cars may look like upscale golf carts.

Clean engine layout. Refined, well appointed interior. Nice sound system. Easy entry and exit. Large glove box. Good power and acceleration for a 2L engine. Quiet engine when idling. Strong headlight illumination. Braking is smooth and powerful.

Limited rear windshield visibility. The base model could've included power windows and door locks as well as cruise control. Outside mirrors lack adjustment range. Air filter is hard to get to for replacement. Temporary disabling of seatbelt minder alarm doesn't work as described in manual.

blind spots a problem
By ash

2006 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a small hatchback, and of the ones I compared, liked this one the best (and the price was right). But after driving it a bit, we both were troubled by the blind spots; The window dividers make it difficult to see whats next to you or coming up. We've not had that problem with other cars. We are getting used to it, but its something for others to consider when purchasing this car.

Controls on steering wheel, handles very well on street, highway, and mountain roads.

All Around Winner
By SupportTech

2006 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Nearly 3 years and 38000 miles later this car still puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. You simply won't find a better balance of economy and performance in it's class. Interior fit and finish have been excellent with the only beef being a floormat that has worn out already. Manual Tranny and brakes are top notch in operation and feel. Worst mileage: 26 mpg. Best Mileage: 33 mpg Suspension may be a little rough for the sensitive, but the dividends pay off in the handling department. If you want a plush cruiser this is not the car for you. This vehicle is built for those who like to be involved and take pleasure in the driving experience.

practically everything performance related including suspension, balance, over all feel. Love the exterior and interior styling though the gauges can be a little hard to read under harsh sunlight.

Auxillary audio input, sturdier floormats

A Best Kept Secret
By Thrilled

2006 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has been 3 years, and it is one of the best decisions I ever made.Who would have thought that an inexpensive grocery-getter (which is why I bought it) would handle like a $30K-$40K car? It does not perform like a high end performance car because it is not supposed to. The 2.0 liter 4-banger is loads of fun because I can keep my foot in it if I want to play. For my normal commute I average 29-33 mpg mixed driving. on the Freeway, it's around 37 mpg. But the HANDLING!!! OMG! This has got to be one of the best-kept secrets in America! Would I like more power? Sure, but not at the cost of mpg. The fit and finish on this little gem is excellent. And for $18K out the door! I'm a happy camper.

The handling is extraordinary for an economy car. The sound system is amazing. I love the gas mileage when I behave myself. I have never had to do more than the scheduled service....not a squeak...not a rattle. I love the fit, finish and styling, too.

If you could beef up the 2.0 liter engine with 20-30 more HP, and 20-30 more lbft of low-end torque without sacrificing gas mileage......oh well, dreaming is free. (LOL)