Used 2006 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 210 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

A Best Kept Secret
By Thrilled

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has been 3 years, and it is one of the best decisions I ever made.Who would have thought that an inexpensive grocery-getter (which is why I bought it) would handle like a $30K-$40K car? It does not perform like a high end performance car because it is not supposed to. The 2.0 liter 4-banger is loads of fun because I can keep my foot in it if I want to play. For my normal commute I average 29-33 mpg mixed driving. on the Freeway, it's around 37 mpg. But the HANDLING!!! OMG! This has got to be one of the best-kept secrets in America! Would I like more power? Sure, but not at the cost of mpg. The fit and finish on this little gem is excellent. And for $18K out the door! I'm a happy camper.

The handling is extraordinary for an economy car. The sound system is amazing. I love the gas mileage when I behave myself. I have never had to do more than the scheduled service....not a squeak...not a rattle. I love the fit, finish and styling, too.

If you could beef up the 2.0 liter engine with 20-30 more HP, and 20-30 more lbft of low-end torque without sacrificing gas mileage......oh well, dreaming is free. (LOL)

I love it.
By Brian Parker

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased used w/21K miles, fell in love immediately. Worst fuel mileage 30, best 45 on a leisurely trip on state highways with 60 or lower speed limits. Key to good mileage is to not run the RPM's up in every gear, let the torque work for you. Before you get the impression I am a slow driver, I have had this well over the speed limits plenty of times, I love to let it go, but I also enjoy getting good mileage. Last trip to Florida got me 39mpg average between state highways and interstate up to 72mph. Almost 30K miles so the noisy OEM tires will be replaced with quieter good tires. Yes, a remote trunk opener would be great, but it's still one of the better cars I have owned.

Acceleration, fuel mileage.

Remote trunk release.

Most Fun for the money
By Rogracin

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is only the second new car we ever bought. The first was a 1988 Mazda MX6 GT and that car is still my daily driver (230K) so yes I am partial to Mazda. It was a little sluggish off the line until I installed a K&N air filter. Not sure what people are talking about saying they have poor MPG but don't forget the K&N filter! I would buy this car all over again!The original Eagle GT RSA tires were super hard and undriveable in any type snow. The replacement ContiPro's ride and look much better but there is a slight roll over the sidewalls on very aggressive cornering. The interior is a little cheap like the sun visors and I gave a 8 on the build quality because I have a weird quirk where the radio does not always turn off with the car. Mazda has not traced down. Great car for the money!

Love the gun metal gray color and the looks of the car. For a cost of $17k plus change wow! Super quick brakes, side air bags, all around fun to drive. Cool headlights and tail lights

A higher top gear on the car. I pull over 3,000 rpm at 70 mph in 5th gear. Could pull some better MPG, I average 32 MPG all around.

Best value in America
By Jim

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 2 1/2 years and it is a great car. I have never had a problem with it and I must have gotten a freak because it gets 35 mpg highway and almost 30 in everyday driving (which is a combo of highway and city). I am looking forward to trading it in on a new 2010 model Mazda 3.

Leather, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, TPMS, Bose, sunroof.

None

Everything I asked for
By Kevin

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I leased this car and it did everything I needed it to do. It is a great commuter but it is not a long distance car. I needed to stuff things like jeans and pillows behind my back and next to the driver door to lean on for 5 - 6 hour trips. The style is great and I totally enjoyed cleaning and polishing the exterior. I have the rally white. The inside is less quality especially compared to my wife's Corolla. It is noisy at higher speeds especially as the oem tires wear. Good car to lease but I won't buy it. Gets 31/35 mph, same as the Corolla we check.

Handling, mileage, style/looks, cool interior lighting, reliability - only normal maint and tires. Good for what you need.

Interior quality, little things like carpets and a rubber foot rest for gas pedal foot. Quieter ride at highway speeds.