Used 2006 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 328 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Mazda3 Review
By pmoney

2006 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The manual car is fun to drive. Sometimes changing the gear is not smooth. The fuel economy is not so great but you forget about it once you start driving the car. The interior design is better than Civic and Corolla in my opinion. The price is reasonable compared to a Civic.

Exterior and interior designs are great.

Needs better fuel economy.

Great little car
By ksga

2006 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After only 3 weeks of ownership, I can say I don't think I'll regret this purchase. Very fun to drive (great acceleration with manual transmission), stylish inside and out, and best of all...good fuel economy (33mpg for combined city/hwy). My biggest concern was small size of car since my last car was an SUV. Yes, smaller, but amazing trunk room and interior is roomier than expected. I researched cars to death before buying and this one really stood out from the rest for TCO (true cost of ownership), reliability and consumer satisfaction. Originally was looking at Mazda6 hatchback, but extra cost for not a whole lot more room, and drop in fuel economy made the 3 look like the winner.

Clean design of interior dash with huge glove box & center storage, Euro styling of exterior (love the line of the car from backside especially), steering wheel controls for audio, excellent turn radius, telescoping steering wheel. Feels so much more high end than its price. Can you tell I love this car?

Trunk release on key remote would be great addition. Seats are a bit firm, but by no means bad. Rear view mirror seems almost too small.

Love it!
By Jen

2006 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased an I Touring model, the only option added was side airbags; definitely worth the low cost to add. We've gotten 35 mpg consistently on longer trips, and close to that with stop and go driving in the city. It's sporty, plenty of zip, and very fun to drive. Did lots of research on other similar cars (Jetta, Honda, Corolla), and very happy with our choice at an excellent cost. Everyone thinks it's a BMW. Our friend is 6'2" and has gone on long trips and has plenty of room. Only complaint is the lack of an automatic trunk opener on your keychain (there's one inside the car though). Otherwise, we love it and would definitely buy Mazda again. Good luck!

Sporty look, mpg, great acceleration.

Automatic trunk opener on keychain.

After 6 Months, I Love It
By Bruce6

2006 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I deliberately waited to write this till I'd owned it 6 months and the new- purchase glow wore off. But I love my 3 as much as the day I bought it. It's quick, roomy, sharp-looking, and an utter blast to drive. Lots of room front and rear for a smallish car, lots of cargo room, all the amenities one could reasonably want standard. And on the highway the thing feels rock-solid and amazingly smooth blasting along at 80 MPH. The only drawback is that the peppy performance from the 2.3 engine does come at a cost of only so-so fuel economy. I can get up to 28-29 on the highway, but in city or mixed driving it drops appreciably. No matter. I adore this car.

Performance, room, sharp design, cool red gauges.

More soft-touch surfaces in the interior would give a more upscale feel, leaving no hint that this is an inexpensive car.

Excellent little car
By Carlos

2006 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a small car that gets good mileage because I drive 25 miles each way to work. My M3 is fun to drive, sporty, and very fast. I get 29 mpg combined miles for each tank and can go almost 350 miles between fill ups. The stereo sounds great and the instrument layout is easy to reach and use. It is a bit smaller inside than I would prefer, but otherwise I love this car!

Handling, pickup, mileage.

I'd like more elbow room inside.