Used 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Makes Sense
By william

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Got a good model year-end deal on a silver 3 with leather and moon roof. Very happy with car. Everything seems solid and well thought out. Very quick, handling is precise and firm. Not sure about low-profile tires that came on car - they seem a bit noisy and not sure how much they add to performance. Otherwise, car is very quiet, with just the right amount of auditory feedback from engine. Slight flaw on placement of brake and accelerator pedals - a bit too close for large feet. Good for 'heel and toe' but it's easy to hit the brake when you're doing normal shifting. Taking some getting used to. Mileage has been less than expected, but the car and I are still getting to know one another.

Performance, performance, performance.

A bit more clearance between pedals.

Wonderful car, except...
By T Block

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

it is awful in the snow and on ice. Sporty performance, fun to drive, roomy and a very efficient interior, cool looking dash at night, and I believe one of the best exterior designs on the road regardless of price. I love this car. I know I could get better mileage if I drove it conservatively, but what's the fun in that?

Metallic red, bulging fender wells, nice tire and wheel combination, the design of the dash.

If this were an all-wheel-drive vehicle it would be perfect for us.

Park it in the Winter
By mike volsch

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed this car throughout the summer and fall months. Gas mileage is great, fit and finish are of good quality and it looks great. But I have found its downfall. Without a doubt this is the worst car I have ever driven in ice/snow. If a hill gets in your way you better better have up a good head of steam because if you don't you will be going backwards. A set of snow tires on it may help but without them this car goes to the garage until the sun shines and the grass is green.

Handling, fuel mileage, good looks, versatility, 5-speed.

Get it to go in snow.

Awesome Performance
By Surgio

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Recently purchased a Mazda 3s hatchback. Fun car to drive, very responsive manual transmission, great handling. Plenty room in hatch, especially with flip down seats. Awesome interior, well "thought" out. If you are looking for an awesome car all the way around I recommend you stop by your Mazda dealer and take one for a spin.

Storage all over the place, cup holders, center console, glove box is huge. easy to maintain interior.

AC could be a bit more powerful.

2nd Time Around
By Bill

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 2nd Mazda. We owned a '03 Protege 5 prior to buying our '05 Mazda 3. Overall the '03 seemed more solid, however the '05 features, options and power make up for it. Loaded the '05 up and enjoy all the options. Would have bought the yellow over the white, but it was not as nice as the yellow on our '03.

The performance, 160 hp is a huge improvement over our '03. It sticks to the road like glue. The navigation is really nice. Added the Temp/Auto Dimming mirror (very nice option) along with stainless fuel filler door and bumper step pads (better safe than sorry) and rear cargo mat.

Tinted glass option, upgrade the carpet, roof racks (which was on our '03). I have to say as some have already that there seems to be a LOT more brake dust than our '03. My wife says the brakes squeak in reverse. The fog lights are useless for LIGHT. I am replacing them with PIAA bulbs.