Used 2005 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 307 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

3 year 60000 mile test drive
By mzdvr

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving this car for 3 yrs now and still think it's the best car under $25,000. I haven't had any mechanical problems. Had a brake job at 50,000 and new tires. I live in the city and get a combined 27 mpg. I have a gas gauge which commonly reports mpg in the middle to upper 30s on the highway. There is minimal wear on the car after 60k such as a small area of the stitching on the leather seat has come out, a few exterior issues due to things happening to it.

Sporty ride, sunroof, good mpg, cheap fill up, leather, no mechanical problems.

A/C is poor, driver's seat is comfy but a little weird. 2 tie downs instead of one. Shift shock when the engine is cold. Body metal is very soft. Everything is plastic (bumpers are styrofoam).

Has everything for little money
By zoomer

2005 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car had everything I was looking for: wonderful manual transmission that is extremely fun to drive, enough oomph, horsepower, great gas mileage, cool looks, plenty of space for the family of four, great value for the dollar. I still love it.

Manual transmission

Side airbags as standard equipment

Friday afternoon car
By Allen G

2005 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new. Looked great, sporty, fun to drive, typical great Mazda clutch. However, I feel my car was built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon, I had nothing but problems with it in the year & a half I owned it. Pieces of trim falling off, just about every sensor/idiot light would come, check engine, air bag, etc. needing a trip to the dealership. One time it would not start and had to be towed to the dealership, luckily it was in my driveway at the time. I was very fortunate that the dealership/Mazda had a loaner car program, which I needed on several occasions, otherwise those expenses would have added up, but I still had to take time off for drop off/pickup.

Sporty look, cool dash, shifter/clutch

Everyone else seems to be very lucky and happy with Mazda, guess it was just me. I've been burned by a Mazda vehicle before, but figured since I bought that one used, I was getting someone else's problems. I bought this Mazda-3 brand new and still had issues. I'll never go back to Mazda.

Fun, Hot, Reliable, Good buy!
By mazdaisgreat

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car to death. It's such a great buy for what what you get. It's stylish and fun to drive. I've never had one problem with it. The only complaints are that the trunk doesn't open with the remote. The AC/heater is a little weak too. But I live in San Diego so this is not really a big problem for me.

Style, smoothness, feel, center control consoles, seats, seats go down.

Button on remote for trunk. Stronger AC/heater.

Find a better car for the money buy it!!
By Sam

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Odometer just turned 61k. Has not been to the garage for anything. Stay below 70 MPH in the highway and you'll get 30+ MPG. Aside from the "cheapy" wiper blade used and easily worn seat upholstery, the car is still in perfect shape or showroom quality. It is fun to drive an a windy and twisty roads. It also goes 110 MPH+, just do it safely. I do my own maintenance and been using hi-grade synthetic oil and K&N air filter. If you can find a better car value than Mazda 3, buy it.. it will be hard to find one. PS, check your battery water periodically. Enjoy!

Styling, telescopic/tilt/steering wheel mounted controls. Responsive steering feel.

Cabin sound insulation, more powerful AC and fan, 18" panoramic rear view mirror, after market is $18.; make it standard, will eliminate the "blind" spot on hatchback models.