Used 2005 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

3i Sedan
By ECM56

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have about 1500 miles on my 3i sedan with manual transmission. Mileage is good - about 33 mpg around the suburbs. It's hard to not put your foot down (which is, of course, bad for mileage) - this car begs to be driven! First car I've had in years with enough leg room (I'm 6'2") - I don't even have to put the seat all the way back. Easy to set up a good driving position with the adjustable steering wheel. Transmission has a nice feel and short throw. I have found the A/C more than adequate for my area (Virginia). Big trunk and lots of little cubbies for storing stuff (huge glove box).

Going into an uphill, 270 degree interstate on-ramp in second gear. YeeeHaaa! Getting 33+ MPG (as long as I drive conservatively). Front seat room and driving position.

I agree with the others that the stereo system is weak. I had just upgraded the stereo in my old Civic Coupe prior to giving that to my teenage daughter - her system definitely sounds better than the system in the Mazda.

Mazda Sp 2.3
By culinarykid

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda3 SP 2.3. I have the navigation, Bose system, 18 inch rims and brown leather. I am telling you for the price of the car and the things you get, it's a awesome car. I can not tell you how many people roll the windows down on their car to tell me how sharp my car is. The color is great too. The color on the SP you can not get on any other Mazda car. That's what also makes it special. If I had to tell anyone who was looking into a new car I would totally tell them to look at the 3.

Navigation, 6 disc CD, Bose system, I love it all.

Can't be beat
By Chai Charin

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

29 year old with 3 kids ages 6, 4, and 2. OK, my last car was a 2001 BMW 330I with the sport package that I leased for 3 years 12,000 miles per year. For more than half of the money I am still in disbelief how much I like this car. I got mine in Rally White, added sport pkg, moon roof, auto dimming/compass/outside temp mirror,rear wing spoiler, dealer installed black leather heated seats, anit lock brakes, after market 20% tint on side and rear, 17" stock sport wheels and tires, PIAA xtreme white headlights. This car handles and drives like a 330I BMW. The sport shifter is a blast although I wish it had 5 gears; it does the trick with 4. Everything is an A+ with 29 MPG with 4,500 miles

The best looking car in its class and many other classes above it. Brakes are rock solid and vehicle rides like a BMW. Steering is quick and responsive. Interior room is amazing for its class. Three little ones fit in the back with safety seats which plug in perfectly with LATCH system.

5 or 6 speed AT. Offer a turbo for $5,000 more and people will buy it all day long. Offer an upgrade sound system because this one is weak. Tweak the center counsel so that my right leg does not rub while driving. Change the location of the brights from the turn signal.

2005 3S
By bamark

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about 6 months now, and it is a very reliable, responsive and fun car to drive. The metallic red turns heads, the interior is well done, and gas mileage has averaged 27 combined with the 2.3 .

The 6 disc CD changer The Sport AT.

Interior - a dead pedal, optional upgrade to the Bose speakers, turning the shift number light off when in the automatic mode of the Sport AT, more sound deadener, and thicker carpeting. Different leather colors. Exterior - nothing. Mazda got it right the first time.

The Wife's Toy
By Chris' Review

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this is a very good car. We had some issues early with the dealership and the rear spoiler (color). The car just went into the shop for a leak in the transmission. The dealership says there was a leak at the temperature sensor that was not mounted flush. This leak was discovered at 3,500 miles at a local mechanic -- not the dealer. The car does plow in corners when speed is applied. My wife loves the car and its "pep." The fuel economy is a little weaker than I thought it might be. It also might be our lead foot as well.

The controls on the steering wheel. The car's ability to get up and moving when you hit the gas. The illuminated gauges and the center console give the car appeal and set it apart from its competition.

Hopefully there will be no more issues with the transmission. The rear pads do have a tendency to emit more dust than the front.