Used 2004 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 650 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Worst car I've ever owned
By fubo

A piece of junk.
Rust began to show all over a couple of years.
All of the door jams and quarter panels near the wheels are rusted.
Two years ago I had to have all 4 rims replaced because they were corroded.
Luckily they were replaced under warranty.
I asked Mazda for help this time around since the rust began to show when it was still under warranty but they refused, even though the dealership and the regional mgr for Mazda were "shocked" when they saw the rust and agreed this should not happen to a 4-5 year old car.
I've had a Ford and a Jeep, sold it after more than 10 years with no rust.
Heat?
Very weak.
AC?
At first I thought it broke down.
Took it in, they said it's normal.

Mechanically I cannot complain.......YET.

I've done some research and it turns out mine is not the only one with rust problems. Even my neighbor is showing rust on his Mazda 3. Obviously there is an issue with the material or paint being used. Horrible quality.

Somewhat Satisfied
By jacobsmommy17

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a fun car to drive there are just some annoying things. The seats aren't too comfortable, the brakes squeal even after being replaced, the transmission shifts hard into second. Recently when slowing down, as the car is downshifting, it misses 2nd gear. When the trunk is popped it doesn't raise itself, and I think there is something wrong with the spring. Also, I have a 6 month old, and it is hard to get him in and out of the car. The doors don't open wide enough either.

This car is fun to drive. I call it my little go-cart. My fiance and I argue over who gets to drive because it is so fun. I love the color of my car (I have the winning blue color), and I like how the interior lights and cloth seats coordinate with the exterior color. This is a very affordable car also.

Some improvements that need to be made are the quality of the interior. I have black interior, and it shows every stain. That is one reason that I stayed away from the lighter interior. The plastic scratches easily, and it shows every nick and scrape. The floormats are tearing up, and there is one that has almost worn a hole all the way through. The exterior dents easily, and the paint chips easily also. I have tried to fix my squealing brakes since I have had it, and there is no solution. I have replaced the battery 4 times also, and the transmission shifts hard into second when the engine is cold. I have recently had to have the alternator rebuilt, and I have put tires on the car twice.

What a piece of ^%$^%$^&%!
By stissenko

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2.3 AT version with currently 83K on it. TO begin is I should say it is the WORST car I have ever had (and I have owned quite a few). I have recently changed: all 4 shocks , bar links, rotors, caliper, leaking radiator, engine mount, heat shield, had to fix exhaust pipe! Unfortunately, it didn't solve all problems: I keep adjusting the breaks (obviously, I do not count new pads, since it is a maintenance), but the noise is still there. Right caliper is about to have to be changed (I am selling the car prior to that). I guess I am really tired of having the car at the shop ALL THE TIME, trying to understand what's wrong with it. If you want a car: DO NOT BUY!

Have to admit: the breas are incredible. But that's about it.

MPG: 4-speed transmission wouldn't take you far. MAZDA people: WHERE IS ALL JAPANESE QUALITY?

Wonderful
By k'smazda

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great family vehicle, it's reliable and extremely fun to drive. We've moved twice since we've owned it and could not believe how much we could cram inside. The interior cleans up nicely with a vacuum or carpet cleaning. The only issue we've had with the interior is that the cloth on one of the doors wasn't glued well.

Sporty handling, very fun to drive.

Better interior build quality, 5 speed auto desired over 4 speed, economy level cars should get a little better gas mileage, even a modern day base model should have automatic locks, traction control and ABS....

After 5 years of ownership-Great Car!
By Diane

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. Love making u turns, awesome handling, braking, steering. Keep good Michelin tires and have them rotated every 3,000 miles or you'll wear tires. So far my Michelin and rotations are keeping it in check. Have 68,000 miles on car.

Love the night time dash display. Great pick up and handling. Huge glove box. Love all the cup holders.

Need more leg room for back seat area. Needs outside temp display. Needs longer/bigger seats for my fat butt. Car goes out of alignment more than anything else I've owned. MP3 player.