Used 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 401 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Love this car but beware
By djshame

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since it had 6 miles on it. The only issues i had in the begining was a belt that broke and ignition coils. This car is very fun to drive. However be aware that after 100k the engine starts to burn oil. I wasn't aware of this and didn't feel the need to check my oil on the regular. Hence i now need a new motor. Just a word of advice check your oil levels regularly at least once a week when you go over 100k in miles. Enjoy zoomzoom. Hence i bought a 2013 MSP3. love my Mazda's....

All around very fun car to drive.

Over 100,000 miles check the oil level frequently.

Love my car but BEWARE
By sydneycmiller

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is the plain Jane type but it was still love at first sight. I bought it used and had trouble with the second day I had it. It's automatic and it would stall at every light or stop sign I hit. Mechanics suggested it was a faulty computer. Mazda told me unless I could prove it, it wouldn't be covered. Reset the computer and it seemed to be fine until I hit 133k kms. Then the transmisson blew. So now I'm stuck with a $2500 bill, AGAIN. I guess I got a lemon but most resellers don't even want to consider selling these transmissions anymore because they continue to come back on a regular basis. Also, the CD plyr is faulty and hates most CDS, old or new.

The thing I loved most about my car was the inside looked super nice. The instruments looked so clean and very sporty. Trunk space is a good size and back seat leg room is also nice.

Transmission, seats stain easy, a bit hard to see when backing up, lights fog up and get cloudy.

Best car ever!
By veester

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and I can honestly say it has been the best car I've ever owned! Thus far the only things we've had to change on it have been the brakes and of course the tires.

Anyway, great first time car for anyone! I will be trading up soon for a small SUV.

The Car itself is very reliable and has offered very good MPG.

There are three things that i struggle with, of which two are cosmetic. For the last 4 years the AC has broke down every summer (Texas heat - not cool!), the inside siding of the front doors were apparently glued on originally (vs. sown on) because they began peeling off 5 years ago, and the seats are no longer comfy. Other than that the Mazda 3 has been great car!

Exelent
By b_o_b_6_9_

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have owned the car since it was relesed and since its done about 140,000 miles and hasnt had any issues , only thing i had to replace was the tyres and brake pads other wise its all good

the blue lights on the dash speedo :D

moar power

Worst car I've ever owned
By yagdoogie

Replaced the transmission.
Twice.
Motor "clicks," my mechanic thought it was going to throw a rod.
Six months later, still clicking.
Front end needed to be rebuilt at 102k.
Roughest running four-cylinder I've ever seen.
Dealer said that's a characteristic of the motor.
Hunh.

Only favorite feature was my joy the day I sold it. Going back to Honda & Toyota. My $800 corolla was a better car than the mazda.

Let the Japanese completely re-engineer this piece of doo doo.