Used 2011 Mazda 2 Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda 2

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

fantastic choice
By bridgetshaw

2011 Mazda 2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car on a whim. I was at a Mazda dealership with a friend to get their car washed, looked around the lot, and ended up buying this wonderful car after four hours and two test drives. I had a 2000 Toyota Camry before this one and I loved my Camry so very much. I wanted a new one, but with Toyota's recalls I wasn't sure. After I test drove this car and realized what a good deal it was for the mpg and price and everything I was set. I'm a delivery driver so this car gets its use in, I'm already over 2000 miles having bought it the end of June. It is very fun to drive, great space in the car for being so tiny, roomy trunk, and it is pretty quick for such a small engine.

aux imput/stero, rear windsheild wiper, front wipers are excellent, cover over the trunk area, great handling and gas mileage.

arm rests, an ash tray, cruise control, faster pick up.

Very Fun to Drive but Needs More Power and Comfort
By weskania

2011 Mazda 2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda2 is a lot of fun to drive, it handles well and gets excellent gas mileage.
I regularly get over the stated 35 MPG highway, getting around 37 MPG average.
Hills can be a bit of a problem, as this car doesn't have a very big engine.
I can make it through the mountains fine, but it's necessary to downshift considerably to speed up on hills.
The car is comfortable for short trips, but for long trips, can get uncomfortable.
There is no lumbar support or center armrest, which can be uncomfortable for longer rides.
However, for a small car, it feels big inside and has excellent visibility.

Fuel mileage is by far the best part of this car. It gets better than stated mileage. In addition, it's a fun car to drive, especially with a manual transmission. Although lacking more advanced technological features, the controls are simple, well laid out, and easy to use.

Absolutely needs lumbar support and a center armrest. A turbocharged version would also be welcomed, as the extra power to get up hills (especially with passengers in the car) is necessary at times.

2 for the Money
By gabagooo1

2011 Mazda 2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 4000 mile gone, I must say that the Mazda2 is a great car.
You will read that it only has a 100 hp engine.
You will read that it is small.
Yup, both are true.
But the 2 is a blast to drive, is peppy and economical.
We are averaging 38 mpg in mixed driving.
If I had wanted a packet rocket, I would have bought a Mazdaspeed3.
The 2 has tons of personality, storage space and room for driver/passengers.
I am 5'11" - 340 pounds and I fit in it fine.
Great car.
Love it.

Styling. MPG, Suspension.

Center armrest is needed.

Why can't they sell more of these?
By ksonic

2011 Mazda 2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

In the U.S., the 2 must be one of the great automotive secrets. Since buying mine more than a month ago, I've seen all of one other on the road, and I live in a metro area where subcompacts are common. It's such a great, satisfying car at a low price that it's hard to understand why Mazda dealerships can't seem to give them away.

The 2 may seem to be just a cheap economy car for those on budget, but I beg to differ.
As a fan of Euro-style small, quick hatches (last car was a Ford SVT Focus), I had to give the 2 a try. It's amazingly fun to drive. It's not fast in a straight line, but it's quick enough. And the features, fuel mileage, and practicality make it a great all-arounder.

Handling, steering, and braking--all very quick and precise, much sharper and sports-car like than similar cars of this type I've driven. The gearbox is wonderful, with light, short throws, and the placement of the shifter only looks odd at first. It feels great, much more like the shift action of a sports or even race car. Styling inside and out is nicely coordinated--simple and purposeful, yet with flair. Surprisingly comfortable and composed ride on most roads. Size and visibility makes it perfect for city driving. Features for the money--even the Sport has almost everything you need. I bought a Honda Accord 12 years ago that was $5K more than the 2 but much more sparsely equipped.

As just about every road tester and owner has said, more horsepower would be nice. Just a 10-15 bump of both horsepower and torque would make a big difference and nudge the 2 close to hot-hatch territory, given its light weight and nimble handling. As many have noted, the clutch action is a little odd and lacks feel for the engagement point. It's just a matter of getting used to it, not a big problem, but it could be better. Road noise can be a little loud, but that's the price of light weight with fewer sound deadening materials. More covered storage would be nice--for example, an arm rest console with storage space inside. It would be nice if the rear seat back folded flat.

Excellent Commuter - Fun and Economical
By ljt813

2011 Mazda 2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I commute about 100 miles per day. I was looking for an economical yet fun car. I decided on the Mazda 2 w/5sp based on reviews, and past experience with Mazda products. This car is comfortable, is responsive and economical. My commute is 60% highway, 40% local and I have been averaging 38-40mpg. I can't recommend it enough.

Handling Economy Appearance Comfort