Used 2011 Mazda 2 Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda 2

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

Like a big 'ol Go Kart!!
By robtech34

2011 Mazda 2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun, fun,fun! (5 speed manual)
I've read some 10.2 second 0-60 numbers on the 5 speed to which I can only say, learn how to drive pal.

This car is like driving a comfortable, Go Kart!!
Tooling around town is so much fun because 35 MPH feels fast in this car.
On the Highway, 80 MPH no problem.

Very good build feel inside.
Lacks some Bells and whistles, but I have zero use for blue tooth and own a much better GPS than is offered in other competing models.

Just driving the thing is a blast. I find the back seats just fine, even for a 6 foot adult. Now I don't mean for long trips, but they'll fit ok. Drivers seat is excellent, I assume so is the passenger's but I have not sat in that one yet. Easy to use controls, easy to figure out without consulting the manual. Nice Yokohama tires. Great grip, great steering, great breaks, although rear breaks are drum.

Change the Orange-Redish illuminated gauges to a nicer blue or white, ugly!!

Just what I needed
By mamom1

2011 Mazda 2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought the 2011 Mazda2 to replace my slowly dying 1999 Nissan Maxima.
It is awesome.
The savings on gas is unbelievable.
I drive mainly around town (work commute is under 4 miles on surface streets) and it handles beautifully.
Contrary to the "pro" reviews, I don't find the engine noise loud and the acceleration is fine.
This car has everything I had in my Maxima with the exception of cruise control (I wasn't interested in paying extra $ for fog lights, cruise control, and red seat piping on the Touring edition).
Oh, and did I mention, my 16 year old thinks it is awesome!

Placement of dials and controls.

Put the door lock control on the door - even the guy at the dealership had trouble figuring out where the control was.

Great Second Car
By professor52

2011 Mazda 2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this vehicle. I was looking for a second car, since I'm retired and I sold my car to my daughter. I did research on all subcompact cars available and drove my top three choices. For the money, Mazda 2 was the least expensive and I have had gas mileages from 35 to 40 mpg which is a combined city/highway useage. I chose the manual because of the size of engine, I could change gears when needed faster than an automatic. I don't regret my decision in a time of our economy and gas prices.

Fun to drive, You can fit two child seats in the back for grandchildren. Great heater/Air conditioner. Manuevers well in traffic and in different weather conditions. Sound system works well with mp3. Base price was the cheapest in my area for a subcompact.

Back seating area could be larger for adults. Cargo area could be larger for storage.

A true Zoom-Zoom
By redkills

2011 Mazda 2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased a M2 just in sept of 2011.
I love the handling on the car and yes it may be a bit short on power aka 2 least powered car sold in US market but it's light weight and amazing handling makes this the perfect city zipping car.

I went with the sport because the touring is a waste of money.
you get "extra" stuff you don't really need, plus for those that want to autocross the sport weights less.
I'd rather add my own aftermarket gear and tuning.
such as adding a in dash nav, if you have the touring version adding a in dash nav will make most of your wheel control features useless.

lastly, this is a great car for easy upgrading and aftermarket work.

Handling is great, great body shape and I love the 15's it rides on. The interior is bare and simple but still very comfortable One of the first thing I did was add H&R lowering springs since the wheel gap on the stock was HUGE. Also had to do an aftermarket sunroof from coach auto oregon too since it wasn't even an option for factory. For any of you other mazda owners out there looking for preformance parts. Corksport in washington pretty much makes all sorts of parts for any mazda, that's where i'm getting most of my gear.

My biggest gripe is how the japanese Mazda Demio aka 2 in the us has MUCH better stock options than USA. In fact at one point they were offering a in dash nav for FREE! the Jap M2 also comes with projection headlights which costs us almost 800 extra to purchase. Lastly I don't like the lack of OEM market here in US, I've called every mazda dealership in my area to ask about parts that the manufacture makes, but none of them carry any of those. It's prob cause the car model is new, but I sure hope they get that changed. It's lame that europe and japan get all the cool factory stuff we can't even touch yet without paying a rediculous amount for shipping.

Best handling subcompact hatchback out there
By carboloader

2011 Mazda 2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Exactly what I planned on buying. The 2 handles great. It is best on curvy roads. I put a K&N air filter in it and it helped the acceleration. I drive 90% highway driving and I am averaging 40 mpg. That is with 3k miles on it. It is not a perfect car; however, I think that it is the best handling subcompact hatchback sold today. I test drove both auto and manual an the manual is the most fun to drive. I test drove other cars, but this car handles better than the other subcompacts that I drove. This car has the zoom zoom handling Mazda is famous for. At least test drive one before you buy another subcompact. I would buy this car again.

Handling is great. The steering is responsive. Braking is great considering rear drums are on this car. The manual shifter shifts accurately with short shifting motion. Visibility is good.

An arm rest would be nice. Four wheel disk brakes. Sunroof option. Telescoping steering wheel.