Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda CX-9

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Crossing over to a true Crossover
By Jeff M

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Have had the Mazda CX-9 now for several weeks now and truly enjoying the experience. We purchased the touring over the grand touring based on available features and price. We have been very pleased with the ride and available features Mazda has put into this vehicle. We went from a Suburban to the CX-9 and that was difficult at first because of the difference in interior room. The 9 is built on a truck frame but feels more like driving a car. It's fun to drive and very comfortable. You will be impressed.

Favorite features include the comfort of the leather seats, the room throughout the interior and all the safety features. We enjoy the navigation system, backup camera and how quiet the cabin is while driving. We love the power open/close back door and the ground clearance the truck has.

Items we miss with the 9 are no trip computer/gas/oil life, etc. Surprised there were no auto on/off headlights and auto dimming rear view mirror (available only on the Grand Touring).

Sporty Performance in a Roomy Package
By KBW

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

If your tired of the minivan life but can't figure out how to get that sporty ride you've been longing for without giving up the room of your van then take a look at the CX-9. For sure it compromises in some aspects like overall storage but much less than most in this category. Compared to my wife's previous Grand Voyager the level of comfort, styling and performance of the CX-9 more than make up for this. The ride is sure footed meaning its not going to float down the road but its not so tight as to be uncomfortable. Gas mileage seems to live up to what Mazda reports. My wife has averaged 19 mpg with mostly in town driving. Overall, it's a great sporty value for the buck.

Sporty styling and handling are excellent for such a large vehicle; Overall interior room is better than most in its class; Basic stereo with MP3 hookup is more than adequate; and the two tone leather seating is very supportive and appears to be of nice quality.

Storage is limited up front compared to that of most minivans. Handling is sportier than some might like. I recommend a lengthy test drive prior to purchasing if you prefer that floating down the road feel. I recommend getting the fog lights; front end looks lacking without them.

What gas mileage do you expect?
By Brian

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This car is so fun to drive. The interior is comfortable and versatile, the engine and transmission are silky smooth, the climate control, seat configuration, styling, and Bose stereo are awesome. I get 19-20 mpg in mixed driving and don't understand why this large 7-person vehicle continually gets knocked on gas mileage. Sure, if you take off from every stop like a jackrabbit, you'll get 15mpg, but c'mon. I hate cars, and I hated the minivan I replaced with the CX-9, but I love driving this one.

Bose stereo, powerful engine, handling, versatile and comfortable seating, climate control, low maintenance intervals.

Rear visibility, quality of buttons and controls, strange Mazda feature packages, climate control must be on to affect interior temperature.

Enjoying the zoom zoom
By Mazda Mom

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have not owned a new vehicle in 9 years. I have been doing research for a while and really investigated the Mazda CX7 and CX9. I had been driving a Dodge Durango and loved it. My husband did not want a smaller vehicle so we drove the CX9. I really like the looks of the CX9. My only complaint is that I settled for the black interior which I know will be very hot in the summer.

I love the Bose stereo, the lumbar support in seat and really have enjoyed the seat warmer.

I would like to have fog lights. A little more room in the third row would be nice. Road noise is noticeable but not too bad.

Zoom Zoom
By Patrick, Charleston

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Researched Lexus, Toyota, VW, Nissan, Ford and Saturn but none compared to the price, drivability and style of the CX-9. Actually brings back the fun in driving. Bose sound system is the best car stereo I’ve ever heard. Lots and I mean lots of room especially in the second row seating. At 6'1" I actually have room to extend my legs. Third row folds down perfectly for more cargo space. Safety features are endless. Lots of comments on the outside appearance but when they open the doors and look in, they are amazed. Like others, it lacks a few of the items that should be standard, compass and fuel computer

Bluetooth is top technology along with the backup camera. Leather is high quality and will withstand the torture of kids and dogs. Safety is evident in the brakes in rear and front body panels, side air bags and rollover sensors.

Really needs a compass which does not come with the mirror with a backup camera screen. I wish the front end had a little more chrome work around the front grille.