Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-9

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Best 3rd CUV on the market for the price
By ceric

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I chose among Highlander, Pilot and CX9. Pilot is too ugly for my taste. Highlander is too expensive with ultra-cheap 3rd row and non-splittable. CX9 is the best deal out there. I was worrying about the reliability like most potential buyers would be. No problem for me after 1 year. Mazda service in my area is also superb. Loaners for repairs (TSB, etc.) and major services. The bottom like is that CX9 drives like a BMW X5 with more than $20K saved in your bank.

HID, SmartKey, BlindSpor Monitoring, rain-sensing wiper, auto on/off headlights.

Direct Injection will definitely help this engine achieve better MPG. Shorter 1st gear will also help as well. Great MPG on highway. Saving a couple hundred pounds won't hurt either.

Best SUV/Crossover for the money!
By s515fox

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is our second Mazda, having driven a 2008 CX-7 since early 2008, which was a company car. We were so impressed with it, that we decided to buy the CX-9 for it's greater seating and because of excellent consumer reviews to accompany our experience with the CX-7. We couldn't be happier with our purchase. We bought a program car with 18K miles on it for about $21K, with leather seats. Another $600 spent on a DVD player and $200 on GPS saved us about $2-3K for the factory installed versions. We couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle! The ride and comfort is better than the CX-7; it's quieter and feels very luxurious. We'll have this for a long time!

The leather heated seats are very comfortable and the bluetooth makes hands free phone use easy. Everyone has commented on the great looks of this vehicle.

Easier to understand/use AC/heating controls. The CX-7 has more intuitive controls than the CX-9, but we like the ability of the driver and passenger to adjust temperature separately. Better gas mileage would be a nice touch. They should have kept the 3.5 vs 3.7L engine, which gave 2 extra mpg.

The BEST crossover. Love It.
By carguy

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is amazing. As a car nut who has owned just about every type of car imaginable including Audi, BMW etc. - this vehicle has exceeded my expectations in every way. The drivability and sheer practicality of the CX-9 is unmatched. I looked at every crossover and for anyone who enjoys cars - there simply is no comparison if you need the room of a 3 row CUV/SUV. I even owned the new Acura MDX and aside from the Acura's vastly superior navigation system, just about everything else on the CX-9 is better. BTW - I have not had any issues with the 20 inch wheels - the ride is smooth, taut and in no way harsh. The CX-9 simply drives like a nice European vehicle. Highly recommend it.

Just about everything. Steering. Ride. Overall handling and performance. Styling. Blind-spot monitoring. Comfort. Roominess. Versatility of seating. Long telescope of steering wheel. Clear bluetooth sound and easy setup. Logical climate controls. Legibility of instruments.

The biggest issue - lack of a trip computer - has been fixed in 2009. Other items that could be improved: (a) multi-level seat heaters (b) ability for driver to have control over all windows - even if they are locked for passengers. The navigation interface is dated and not the most intuitive.

Don't Hesitate to buy this Crossover
By Mark B

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted to wait until I had 15,0000 miles before I wrote this review. I am 55 and buy a new car about every 3 maybe 4 years and have since I was 20. I have always had station wagon, mini van, SUV type vehicles. Owned mainly GM and Ford and I can say without doubt that the CX9 GT is the best vehicle I have bought. It handles beautifully, is so quiet and smooth. No problems of any kind in my first 15K miles. We have taken in the mountains of CO and gone on dirt mt. roads and the FWD was superior to any of my RWD vehicles. This is a roomy fun car to drive and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I drove the GMC Acadia and its a nice car but not near as nice as the CX9 GT.

The way it handles, and the quiet smooth ride. The roomy interior is very useful and easy to use. Seats are very comfortable even for my 6'2" legs! The back is more than roomy for tall adults! Bose system is so good you won't want to leave your favorite music.

Trip computer would be great. I understand it is on the 2009. Auto locking doors are the only other thing I would add.

So far so good
By Satisfied

2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Have had it almost 2 weeks and it's been fun to drive. We are getting a lot of looks as this Crossover is not often seen. (You'd think that with the Motor Trend SUV of the Year Award that more people would buy this vehicle!) We had a Toyota Sienna and this rides & handles very similar. We have not noticed any "engine noise". We were shopping for a Highlander but totally fell in love with the CX-9... a lot roomier and much better style!

The console is futuristic and impressive. The veh. style is also an eye-catcher and gets many heads turning.

A little tough for small children and older people to enter vehicle, but aside from running boards I don't know how this could be improved. Also, no room for Driver to put a handbag/purse as there is no floor space.