Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda CX-9

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Head and Shoulders above the rest
By fun4zoom

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We are absolutely thrilled with our GT CX 9 . We compared to several others-- Lexus, Acura, Toyota, Honda ect and this is by far the best value for the money! The Navigation, Bluetooth are easy to use. The interior finishes are classy and comfortable. All in all a real headturner! It is our first Mazda and definitely would purchase all over again! Best car I've ever owned---from a former Lexus, Honda and Toyota owner. I am converted to Mazda s . Fun to drive and a smooth ride!

Finishing touches on interior Navigation Bluetooth Smart Key(just drop in purse and go!) Auto lift on hatch Blind spot monitoring(every car should have this)

None

All I ever wanted
By Danny

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I'm loving it ! I had an CX-7 and the turbo was too much for me to handle (turbo lag was omnipresent). I was dreaming about CX-9 since I bought CX- 7 but my wife was not so sure we can handle 40K. Then, I missed more all the options that my Grand Touring Buick LeSabre 2000 was having : rain sensing wipers, day lights, compass in the rearview mirror, trip computer and so on. Missed so much the Buick...and I ended up trading in CX-7 for CX-9. In the first day, I drove in Greater Chicagoland area, 200 miles of fun and joy. I was so happy that I could not believe it. Thank You Mazda, for being number one in my heart. Still...put the towing package for GT. Please.

Roomy, style, rock solid, fun, bluetooth, rearview camera, cd loader, Bose Centerpoint System...and all that is having.

Only the towing package.

Great Vehicle
By deltaromeo

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is our first Mazda. It is a new 2008 and has slightly less than 1000 miles. So far, we are very pleased with the performance. We are getting about 17.2 mpg with City/highway driving. The third seat is great for the grandchildren. As you would anticipate for a big car, the acceleration is a bit sluggish and the fuel mileage is nothing to brag about. The CX-9 qualifies as a luxury vehicle.

Smooth ride and easy to handle for a big vehicle. Of all the safety features, we love the Blind Spot Monitor the best. Seats are comfortable and road noise is minimal. Instrument panel is easy to read.

Needs Daylight Running Lights. The material on the top of the dash board will scratch easily. Driver and front passenger must be careful not to bump head when entering vehicle. Inside handle to pull & close driver and front passenger door needs to be moved about 6 inches toward the rear.

Best 3rd CUV on the market for the price
By ceric

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I chose among Highlander, Pilot and CX9. Pilot is too ugly for my taste. Highlander is too expensive with ultra-cheap 3rd row and non-splittable. CX9 is the best deal out there. I was worrying about the reliability like most potential buyers would be. No problem for me after 1 year. Mazda service in my area is also superb. Loaners for repairs (TSB, etc.) and major services. The bottom like is that CX9 drives like a BMW X5 with more than $20K saved in your bank.

HID, SmartKey, BlindSpor Monitoring, rain-sensing wiper, auto on/off headlights.

Direct Injection will definitely help this engine achieve better MPG. Shorter 1st gear will also help as well. Great MPG on highway. Saving a couple hundred pounds won't hurt either.

Best SUV/Crossover for the money!
By s515fox

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is our second Mazda, having driven a 2008 CX-7 since early 2008, which was a company car. We were so impressed with it, that we decided to buy the CX-9 for it's greater seating and because of excellent consumer reviews to accompany our experience with the CX-7. We couldn't be happier with our purchase. We bought a program car with 18K miles on it for about $21K, with leather seats. Another $600 spent on a DVD player and $200 on GPS saved us about $2-3K for the factory installed versions. We couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle! The ride and comfort is better than the CX-7; it's quieter and feels very luxurious. We'll have this for a long time!

The leather heated seats are very comfortable and the bluetooth makes hands free phone use easy. Everyone has commented on the great looks of this vehicle.

Easier to understand/use AC/heating controls. The CX-7 has more intuitive controls than the CX-9, but we like the ability of the driver and passenger to adjust temperature separately. Better gas mileage would be a nice touch. They should have kept the 3.5 vs 3.7L engine, which gave 2 extra mpg.