Used 2008 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda CX-7

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Owned for years, still love it
By lurking444

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2008 CX-7 new, in 2009. It was a "demo" model so I got a good deal. My car only has 25,000 miles on it so far (yeah, I don't drive it all the time). However, I do love the sporty feel, the moderately large cargo capacity, and the styling; it still looks cutting edge.

I don't drive it much because my wife and I also own a diesel VW Jetta, which gets better than twice the mpg of the Mazda. I've averaged about 18.5mpg on the CX-7 in the years I've owned it. I love the sportiness of the vehicle, but you'll have to make a judgement about whether poor fuel economy is worth the love of the road/drive. I'm happy with my decision to buy this car.

The turbo engine has got plenty of kick when it 'spools' up. The auto-manual transmission (I have the Grand Touring edition) is great. The leather seats are comfy and still look stylish. I like the Xenon headlamps (again on the Grand Touring). The exterior styling, especially in my Black Cherry color, is striking. The AWD gets me where I need to go, even in 2 feet of snow (I tested it, more than once).

MPG, MPG, MPG. How many times can I say it? A compact SUV should average better than my observed 18.5 mpg average. My minimum for my next car is 20 mpg average. The alignment (wheel alignment) is easy to 'knock off'. My alignment destroyed my tires in only 20k miles. The Mazda installed GPS is poorly designed; my wife's iPhone is more reliable and accurate, with a better interface.

Worst Car Ever
By 524dnx

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been driving Hondas for 30 years.
I purchased the Mazda 2 years ago.
The turbo just went out and Mazda won't honior the warrantly because there is "sludge" in my engine.
The Mazda dealership told me to replace the entire engine at a cost of $9000.
I have 60,000 miles on it.
Regular maintenance and use synthetic oil but since I did not have my oil changes done at the dealership the dealership won't cover it either.
Also, I bought it used and did think to ask for copies of the oil changes from the previous owner and without those, I can't prove the oil was changed every 3,000 miles.

Great car with a few quirks
By dementedcx

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought this car a little over a month ago, Traded a 2008 Scion TC for it cause our little family had grown by 1 more. Aside from the MPG's I have no real complaints about it. The brakes needed changed at less than 30K but i undertook that task myself & it has a slight vibration at 50-60mph that i'm still trying to track down. But it's an amazing car to own, it's fast & sporty. The older kids (6&8) absolutely love it, Just wish i had gotten one with more options.

AWD, Turbo, Remote/one touch windows.

DRIVING IT UNTIL IT DIES
By multi_cars

2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought it new on 12/31/2007 and have put on a little over 55,000 miles.
Taken it to the dealer for service for oil changes and regular maintenance.
Had a bearing start to go around 54,500 miles and they replaced it under warranty - NO charge.

Great overall car.
Grand Touring package (leather) makes it just as nice as a Lexus.
Great Snow car (just change out the factory tires)

Gas mileage ok - around 20-21 overall.
Probably a great car to buy used as well as it has a LOT of features and is not a typical SUV box to drive around in.

Control-on-the-steering-wheel radio controls very good. Auto-stick transmission with 6 speed great for driving in snow. Heavier body and frame than previous car (Subaru Forester S). Better driving and overall traction in snow. Nice highway car. Tire-pressure monitoring system really works well.

Factory tires (Goodyear 18" RSAs) were garbage. Switched around 25,000 miles to Yokohama Paradas - a GREAT all-around tire. Also bought 19" O-Z wheels at that time and the car looks great. Move up to 19" or 20" wheels and get better tires.

Sophisticated and Spunky
By rpleb35

2008 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a used 08 CX7 about a month ago with only 25,000 miles on it.
After looking at many crossovers, I never considered the CX7 because I didnt know they existed.
After seeing this on the lot, I fell in love with it.
This is my first ever foreign car and although I was torn about buying foreign, I couldnt be more happier with this vehicle.
It has the power of any full size SUV out there.
I am getting about 20 miles combined to the gallon.
This isnt that great but I knew that going in.
The car is well built and it is so much fun to drive.
Although I bought primarily for my wife to drive, I find myself using it whenever I can.
This is a vehicle that I will keep for a long long time.

Amount of power for a 4 cylinder. The exterior design is sporty and shows muscle.

Its minor but I wish there was a outside temperature gauge on the dash. After owning vehicles with one, I do miss it.