Used 2007 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews - 315 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Mazda CX-7

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Worst Car I've yet to own!
By mtbrider1

2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Hmmm.... let's see.... how many people have had happen the EXACT same thing as I have--Bad VVT causing timing chain stretch?
Started to happen at 62k miles and thus Mazda is not standing behind the car. Luckily I caught it before it caused a snapped chain and ruined engine.
Timing chains are supposed to last MUCH longer, and yet Mazda acts like it is a rare occurrence.

I also struggled with the turbo lag.
At first I fooled myself into thinking that it was normal for a turbo-until I owned a TDI Jetta--not even close.
The unsettling lag and then surge in power at times was almost comical.

The longer we owned it, the less an less we liked this car--sold it off for a new Subaru!

Power and AWD drive. Steering wheel controls were well laid out and functional.

FIX the VVT's and TIming Chain situation... with a permanent fix that won't just reoccur. (Much) less lag at the turbo. Decrease rear bumper height/depth... this caused problems with two bike racks (depth). Better carpet--never thought about it when we first bought the car, but this stuff is cheap looking.

2007 CX-7 AWD Owner with 82K Miles !!!!!!
By tony2am

2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car (black) looks really sharp when it is cleaned up! Here (remember 82K and I have not treated this car well "maintainance wise" AT ALL. If you own one, follow my reasoning below I will give you the low down. Bought my 2007 Sport with maybe 12K on it in Ohio and currently it has 82K.

1. No problems (other than compressor recall) 2. It has tinted windows on the rear seats and back (driver/passenger windows not tinted). The tint is very DARK & great for many reasons.... 3. You can move alot of things with it. A 6 foot item with ease, as back seats fold down and plenty of room 4. Good looking car if you maintain it. People entering the car like the looks and the dash (I am used to it) 5. The car has NOT DEPRECIATED. I had terrible credit etc.. and little money down at purchase and the car is still worth $13,000 and I only owe $9800 6. Been a good car and although I don't think it is a "zoom zoom" great riding/handling car it has retained its value!

1. Driver seats in all models SHOULD be power. 2. No lites in the fold down visor mirrors, made several female (make-up) applying women mad. 3. My AC "converter" or whatever the recall item was, was covered under warranty at the dealer. no big deal. (no cost to me) 4. The tires have 18" wheels and are expensive. 5. Miserable gas mileage (18 to 20+ is BS) gets 16 at best in city and needs premium fuel. A GAS HOG for a 4 cylinder (because of the turbo)

What's with all the complaints?
By lmf10910

2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2007 with 19k miles on it and have to have my thudding brakes replaced after 3k miles of driving. Mazda covered it. AND THAT'S ALL I'VE HAD TO! I honestly don't understand why so many people have had so many problems. Maybe I got lucky, but I am a previous Volvo owner and would love to hate a Mazda, but can't... it's fast, has a smooth drive, truly great on gas for a smaller crossover (much better that my friend's CR-V), and never gives me any issues. I wish I had problems with it to maybe go back to luxury, but the truth is, it's a great car, especially for the money. Yeah the floor mats are cheap, but it's not a Lexus...

The interior styling, turbo engine, cd changer, and gas mileage.

Better floor mats and rear visibility.

Some good advise to current owners
By wlu

2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Here is my advise to those who still own a 2007 CX7.

1. Pay the $600 (or so) and have a mechanic open engine to clean any sludge that may have accumulated over the years. Make sure they check over the timing chain and VVT actuator.

2. Don't follow Mazda's service plan, perform oil changes every 3000 miles. My Mazda dealer switched to 5w-20 (instead of 5w-30) because it is more durable with the turbo. You might want to do the same.

I loved the performance of the car the short 2 years I had it. Build quality is ridiculously cheap! Parts are crazy expensive!

I traded our CX7 in yesterday for our first Ford (always owned Mazda until now). I wish you all good luck with this car.

The looks! This car is beautiful. I got compliments all the time! The speed the turbo provides. This car can move! The handling is awesome. Felt more like a sports car than a CUV.

Why would Mazda create a car that requires premium gas!?!? Suspension and seats were far from comfortable. Long drives really did a number on our backs and butts. Road noise at high speeds (60 mph) is very loud! Interior was very cheap looking and plasticky (I believe they changed it in the 2010 model). Build quality was lacking. Tires went at 30,000 miles ($700). Rear bearing went at 39,000 miles ($370). A/C compressor went at 44,000 miles (covered by Mazda- they extended the warranty on this part to 60,000 miles- should have been a recall).

Love to drive it but it's junk
By binkey

2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had the transmission replaxed after 30,000 miles and the keyless entry replaced & thank the lord it was under warranty as well as the transmission.
At 25,000 miles I needed new tires even though I rotated them as needed as well as all maintenance thru the dealer.
I have always owned GM products & got atleast 40,000 on my tires so what is the deal with that?
$800 a bit early.
The last straw was a headlight that went out and it was a board that was $850.
My milage at this time was 36,500.
Too bad for a car I love to drive but will never buy another one & am looking to trade for a GM model.
That will be the last foreign car I buy!!

Love the turbo, when you pass a car you can really move.

Better warranties and a car that is this expensive. Buick Lacross has 4 yr 50,000--Mazda take a look and lean from some American cars. So sad to love to drive a car that the parts seem to go bad every month!