2014 Mazda CX-5: Big-Mile Observations
August 12, 2013
Last weekend our long-term 2014 Mazda CX-5 plowed through nearly 1,300 miles from Southern California to the Sierra Buttes East of Downieville and back. Just like the Wyoming trip the week before it never missed a beat.
Since July 18 I've covered almost 5,000 miles behind the wheel of the CX-5. Here are some observations:
- Seat comfort is among the best, if not the best, in the segment.
- Power is adequate unless you're above 6,000 feet. Then it needs boost.
- The transmission is remarkable. It offers smooth shifts and disappears in normal driving but allows full engine braking control when it's needed, rev matching included.
- Cargo space and interior utility is excellent, particularly the three-way split folding rear seat.
- Handling is awesome. I outran an Infiniti M on California's Highway 49. Try that in a CR-V.
Josh Jacquot, Senior Editor @ about 15,000 miles