Used 2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Brake Problems/MPG decline
By gryphon84

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I loved this car but after 18 months the brake pads went bad. According to the dealer there was no reason and since the warranty on those expires at 12,000 miles or 12 months we were stuck with having to pay for all new rear brake pads and rotors. There is no reason they should have failed and Mazda Customer Service said "Too bad not under warranty". The MPG has also steadily declined after 6 months even with regular maintenance. I am disappointed since we bought it for it's supposed fuel efficiency and safety. After this experience I do not expect this to be a reliable long lived car and will not buy a Mazda in the future. Update, we've had the car 3-4 years now we had to replace the brakes again and the oil pressure sensor, mazda maintains this is an us problem even though the dealer admitted they see this a lot. I'll be happy when I'm rid of this car. Total piece of junk. Update: Had to replace the brakes for a 4th time and now a wheel bearing went bad. Worse car ever.

2+ years later...
By photoguy22

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Review of our car after 2-1/2 years of ownership.

Our 2014 CX5 GS AWD continues to be a good vehicle and everything continues to be pretty much as expected.
The gas mileage continues to be low 20's around town and high 20's on the highway. A little lower than I would like for a small vehicle, but comparable to others.
The performance though, remains mediocre at best - Mazda really needs to work on this...

Lack of interior lighting in the rear remains a real miss.

Bose Audio system is very nice! Some indicate it's not a "true" Bose, but it is quite acceptable.

Had a periodic issue with the tire pressure sensor telling us air is low when it's w/in 1 lb of standard.
Apparently it's very sensitive - too much so! This issue is no longer occurring - a software update may have cured it.

A few entertainment system gremlins have popped up requiring some shop visits to fix Bluetooth and USB. Nothing huge, but a little new for this to happen in my opinion.

See likes/dislikes below for various features.

Over-all, still a good choice!

Are you kidding me with this lock system?
By lkasko

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had my CX-5 for 5 days.
Love the drive, love the styling, love the gas mileage.
Hate, hate, hate the locking system.
Are you kidding me with this maybe the lift gate will lock and maybe it
won't.
How would you know.
You have to walk away and when you come back with your key it is always open.
What the heck is the purpose of the black button anyway.
Are we supposed to depend that this locking sensor is going to work indefinitely.
How do we know when it stops working.
Not light, no beep not indicator, no nothing.
Worse design I have ever seen.
I am 66.
I have owned a lot of cars.
I would not have purchased this one had I known.
Will try to get a lock installed

Engine

Fix stupid locking system. Give us some credit for being able to lock and unlock our own cars.

Excellent Car
By kannon8833

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have own our 2014 AWD GT for 3000 miles.
Very happy with the car.
Wanted to write a review cause it was the many reviews on Edmunds that eventually helped me select
the CX-5 over the Forester.
CX-5 (in my opinion) just handles better.
Tracks real well, very stable.
Soaks up more bumps and noise better than the Forester.
Brakes well, handled very well in snow and rain.

Forester - can't beat the wonderful and huge sunroof, visibility MUCH better - CX-5 needs more attention.
Better heated seats on the Forester.
Bottom line - Mazda offered better trade, finance, car better handling.
Couldn't pass up - just more bang for the buck.

Update 40k miles. Replaced stock tires in mid 30's k miles, otherwise no major maintenance besides oil change/filter/... Still very much enjoy the car. Like the auto braking on the new CX-5. The 2014 CX-5 monitors for collisions and moves brake pads closer if sees potential accident - should be more autonomous. gas mileage overall excellent but does suffer in the winter (around 24 mpg avg vs 28 mpg during summer). One note - AC cooling power is below other cars I have driven. Only front seat vents. AC takes lot longer to cool car; doesn't feel as cool inside as other family cars.

83,000 update on 2014 Mazda CX-5
By tamoshanter55

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

So, now have had the car for 3 years and have put over 83,000 miles - mostly highway. Continues to run excellent - continues my faith in my brand loyalty with Mazda. Gives great acceleration for a 4 banger, given the medium weight of the car. No problems - changed the tires at approximately 45,000, I take it in about once every 8,000 miles for maintenance at my local Mazda dealer in Baltimore. By the way, Heritage Mazda (in Catonsville - suburb of Baltimore) is an excellent service/dealership. They are always polite, helpful, prompt, have the car completed when they tell me, and reasonable in price. They don't try to gouge me like most dealerships - only doing the maintenance necessary. I asked about any preventive major maintenance on the car, and they said with the Mazda SkyActive system, it requires very minimal maintenance. With their regular checks on the car, I've had no problems. I did run into a deer last year - caused about $3000 body damage to the front - but after fixed, car runs as good as new. The only complaint I have is that the ipod connection doesn't seem to be working the last few thousand miles; I know my ipod works, but it keeps coming up on the display as "ipod error". My 2000 Mazda626 is still at home, with 317,000 miles on it (I use it for local commuting, grocery runs, etc.) and still works great. This is why I still buy "Zoom-zoom"!!!